feel the coil if its getting hot once it stops??? If its hot
the coil is at fault. Sounds to me like someone put a
distributor on this tractor. I still say ur running out of fuel,
and nowhere do I see that u did as I said. Have u even
looked in the tank to see if its clean or rusty inside ? Use
your phone light or other safe light. Them online filters
are not the answer on gravity lines. They are made for a
fuel pump to push fuel through them.

yes it has a distributer now. I did look in the gastank and dont see any issue. I got a condenser but Im a bit hesitant to get that bakolite cover thing off, it looks pretty fragile. A friend suggested I put a test light between + and - terminals on the coil and crank it over to see if it flashes to determine if there is an issue under that cover before trying to pry it off. I can remove that filter, sounds like its doing more harm than good, although I had the issue before I put it on.

(quoted from post at 00:39:40 04/06/23) Im having trouble keeping my case running. I bought it last fall and over the winter I changed all the fluids and filters, , adjusted the brake pedals, and greased everything. Now the weather has broke (sort of) I got it out of the garage and drove it around a little. It starts quickly with choke out and as I gradually push choke in it runs great even under mild load (4th gear on a slope). The problem is after about 5 minutes it starts to run rough and wants to stall. When I pull the choke out it starts running good again. Then it keeps getting worse until choke is out all the way out and eventually it quits running. I have adjusted the two screws on the carb. and get no improvement. I had not drained the gas tank over the winter so I drained all the gas, rinsed tank with new gas, drained carb and installed an inline filter. I filled tank with new gas and added a bottle of Seafoam. No change. I checked the compression and all 4 cylinders were about 100. I installed 4 new plugs. Nothing has helped. I dont know how to check the timing, but it runs so good at first I dont believe its an issue. Im stumped,but hope some one here can help. sorry for the long post.

try this 12 v coil if i remember this coil you wont need the resistor its not required if you have an alternator with this coil instead of a generator. Duralast Ignition Coil C838 auto zone
Put the coil
negative - post to distributor and + post to on/off switch output.I had the same think happen to me in a tractor SC and a 71 olds cutlasss ran for a little bit then shut down like it ran out of gas. twice then 3rd time it just Would not start it was the condenser good luck with it.

mvphoto108514.jpg

mvphoto108515.jpg

This post was edited by Bhunt on 08/12/2023 at 10:22 am.

Had a few free minutes so I installed new condenser and cleaned points. The new coil is a 6 volt and I kept the resistor and kept pos ground, just didnt want to change more than 1 thing at a time. Gas runs out of the carb so at least the float needs attention ,so Im gonna try to find a rebuild kit and do that next

I decided that before I order a carb kit I would take the sediment bowl assembly off from the tank. Low and behold there was a problem. The inlet from the gas tank was plugged with "sand". Re reading the responses to my question I realized that "Rustred" had said to ck the inlet but I missed that. I had previously checked between the sediment bowl and the carb and had a stream of gas I thought was adequate but after cleaning the inlet I had a stream as big as a pencil to the carb. I started the tractor and ran much better for a while then started acting up again. I pulled gas tank and drained into a white bucket and more sand. I ordered a new sediment bowl assembly( the shutoff didnt work) and some Por gas tank sealer and will do that before I reinstall. Very encouraging. Thanks for all the responses.

This post was edited by Dr. CHIP on 08/17/2023 at 05:33 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back