Farmall 656 shut down issues

Good afternoon, i have replaced the entire engine, left and right harnesses. Also the rear harness with new light switch in the dash. New voltage regulator installed also. have everything wired per instructions and the schematics. the problem i am having is engine starts fine it just won't turn off untill i either cut the power at the fuel shut off solenoid by unplugging or if i tap lightly on the voltage regulator. What am i missing here? I installed a new resistor near the coil as well. I'm sure i am missing something or have something wired incorrectly. Thank you in advance for any help. I forgot to add that if i don't rev the engine it will shut off with the key. When the generator starts charging it will not shut off with the key. It has to be back feeding somewhere. This also has electronic ignition on it.

Last edited:
Sounds like 2 different problems. Tapping the regulator would jar loose the cut-out, and cut the power to the A terminal on the generator. So the source for the back feed must be between the regulator and the generator. Why the cut-out is sticking is another problem.

Upvote 0
Hello just to be clear the tractor has a generator and original voltage regulator, no alternator has been installed? If generator is being used I would disconnect the battery reconnect only the negative terminal to the battery. Disconnect all wires from the voltage regulator and do whatever is needed to keep them from shorting to anything but you will be testing the wiring terminals later. Disconnect the power feed wire from the ignition switch at the resistor for the ignition coil, you don’t want to power the electronic ignition during this test. Connect a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the coil power wire you disconnected from the resistor, key remaining off. Check for power to ground at any terminals on the voltage regulator I don’t think there should be any. If there is this would indicate something is cross wired. The ignition power should not interconnect with the voltage regulator circuits. Hopefully, there is no back feed during this check from the oil light.
Here is a link to a wiring diagram, make sure you are looking at the gas tractor with generator diagram.
Wiring diagram
If an alternator is being installed in place of a generator we have a whole different ballgame. If so we need details about the alternator, brand, one wire or 3 wire.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back