Ford 201 diesel

I have a 1970 Ford 4500 tractor with the 201 ci diesel engine
I have honed the cylinder and measured them at 4.38 inches. Is this correct for the standard piston ? I would have thought by honing the cylinders the reading would be beyond 4.40 as specs are listed .

I have a 1970 Ford 4500 tractor with the 201 ci diesel engine
I have honed the cylinder and measured them at 4.38 inches. Is this correct for the standard piston ? I would have thought by honing the cylinders the reading would be beyond 4.40 as specs are listed .
.020" seems like quite a bit off. Are you measuring with an inside micrometer or a caliper? You should be taking two readings at 90 degrees from each other at three levels in the bore. Is there a ridge at the top of the bore? Have you checked calibration of your device against a known standard?

I used an inside caliper with a digital slide roll for inside and outside measurements. I’m coming up with a four-point 4.39 for all the cylinders at different locations I did smooth it out with the home and I hope that this will be OK for standard pistons

I used an inside caliper with a digital slide roll for inside and outside measurements. I’m coming up with a four-point 4.39 for all the cylinders at different locations I did smooth it out with the home and I hope that this will be OK for standard pistons
Cheap set.
I have been doing precision measuring for 58 years on engines and machines. No offense, but measuring is an art with little forgiveness. Calipers are going to be Plus or minus .002 for that application. Real bore micrometers can often be rented. The measurement 1/2 inch down is more important than all others. Measuring a piston can't be done with calipers either. A cheap set is useful an expensive set is 250$

Thank you so much for the answers . You have been very helpful. I will get a regular inside micrometer and an outside one for the Pistons. Thank you again.

My uncle had a 1957 Ford 860 which was his primary horse for 15 years. In Sept. it would pull a single row New Holland corn chopper hour after hour day after day week after week at full throttle. A few months before he passed he told me that he had it "rebuilt" three times during its primary use on the farm. I found out later that the "rebuild" consisted of new rings, and possibly new pistons as the ring grooves on those tended to get opened up. I suggest that you keep your "usefulness relative to cost" goal in mind

Line up all the marks according to the service manual including the injection pump gear
Install the front cover and forget about the marks, even if you don’t have the injection pump installed
Once the gears are aligned it takes around 90 revolutions before they line up again, this causes a lot of confusion for first timers
The injection pump will only bolt up to the gear one way correctly when the dowel pin in the gear is aligned with the notch in the pump drive, timing marks for the pump are on the back side of the engine plate

You need to at lease pick up a I&T manual for your tractor, it contains a lot of good info on repairs and general maintenance
It'll have the torque specs and valve adjustments you'll need for the rebuild
Some pump gears have the numbers 3 and 4 instead of a single mark, you'll need to line up the 3 with the center idler gear

C5ED8964-3EF8-41AF-B83B-BF11415743A1_1_201_a.jpeg

Considering the questions your asking I think it would be beneficial if not essential for you to have a manual for your machine while doing this work. Official reprints are fairly spendy as shown by the offered listing shown by YT. See link.
4500 Ford manuals from YT I am not sure which I&T manual would cover your tractor, maybe someone else can chime in. I won’t list other options here in respect to YT. I will send you a PM with some other recommendations, check your envelope icon at the top by the bell.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back