John Deere 60 Power Trol

rhickok6

New User
Hey guys, I got a 1952 John Deere 60 with Power Trol. I recent bought a sitrex disc mower, with hydraulic up on the cylinder. The cylinder only has 1 hose. The 3 point works on the 60 but I can't get the cylinder to operate on the disc mower. Attached are pictures of the set up. What do I need to do to get this thing to work. Thanks a bunch Ryan

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_185206667.jpg
    PXL_20240414_185206667.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20240413_194455265.jpg
    PXL_20240413_194455265.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 47
With that powertrol you can't operate a remote cylinder and the rock shaft independently at the same time. There's only one hydraulic lever and it operates either the rock shaft or a remote cylinder depending on which way the meetering valve is turned.

However the coupler is currently plumbed into the rockshaft circuit. This means the remote cylinder won't get pressurized until the rockshaft is fully raised. This probably isn't going to work the way you want it to for running a disc mowing.

It may be the mower needs higher pressure than the powertrol can produce. When I got my 1207 I hooked it up to my A and the cylinder would only extend to take up the slack, no lift. MoCo needed 1400 psi minimum. Powertrol is about 900.

With that powertrol you can't operate a remote cylinder and the rock shaft independently at the same time. There's only one hydraulic lever and it operates either the rock shaft or a remote cylinder depending on which way the meetering valve is turned.

However the coupler is currently plumbed into the rockshaft circuit. This means the remote cylinder won't get pressurized until the rockshaft is fully raised. This probably isn't going to work the way you want it to for running a disc mowing.
Aren’t those plugs on the right side supposed to be changed? I don’t have a power trol wish I did but I think there’s different plugs for running the cylinder?

Aren’t those plugs on the right side supposed to be changed? I don’t have a power trol wish I did but I think there’s different plugs for running the cylinder?
Currently his tractor has the dummy plugs installed where the remote cylinder hydraulic couplers are normally installed. With the coupler plumbed into the side of the powertrol the way it is now, its running off the rockshaft circuit. My B used to have 2 couplers coming out the side but I didn't like it that way because the response to operate a hydraulic cylinder was always delayed until the rockshaft was in the full raise position. And it only provides oil pressure in one direction (i'm guessing out the top port). So I took the couplers out the side of the powertrol and put pipe plugs back in. Then I took out the dummy plugs and installed the fittings for running a cylinder and installed pioneer couplers in the back of those. I also had to turn the metering screw in, which is located on the LH side of the powertrol under a hex cap. So now I have pressure in both directions at my couplers and the rockshaft stays put.

Currently his tractor has the dummy plugs installed where the remote cylinder hydraulic couplers are normally installed. With the coupler plumbed into the side of the powertrol the way it is now, its running off the rockshaft circuit. My B used to have 2 couplers coming out the side but I didn't like it that way because the response to operate a hydraulic cylinder was always delayed until the rockshaft was in the full raise position. And it only provides oil pressure in one direction (i'm guessing out the top port). So I took the couplers out the side of the powertrol and put pipe plugs back in. Then I took out the dummy plugs and installed the fittings for running a cylinder and installed pioneer couplers in the back of those. I also had to turn the metering screw in, which is located on the LH side of the powertrol under a hex cap. So now I have pressure in both directions at my couplers and the rockshaft stays put.
Good info I didn’t know you could have a 2 way cylinder

Good info I didn’t know you could have a 2 way cylinder

There is another option that I didn't think about until now. JD made a special fitting to go in place of the top dummy plug. If I remember right this would give pressure in both directions out the side of the power trol on the rockshaft circuit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back