Muffler - How many on Pickup Truck?

Pickup Truck: Are two mufflers and two tail pipes louder or softer than one muffler/one tail pipe? Secondly, do you loose engine power when both manifold pipes go into one muffler and one tail pipe compared to a separate muffler, tail pipe for each manifold? Thanks!

Hi Randy:

A kind of question that will generate different opinions depending on perspective.

Dual exhaust into a single large pipe can be as effective as dual exhaust into two smaller pipes. Add to that a muffler to control (or not control) the noise. A straight thru muffler will be louder than a baffled muffler.

The options are endless but fun to play with.

I had factory dual exhaust on a IH Scout with the 345 gas and they would rust out once a year. I like a larger than spec single pipe and big, low restriction muffler. I've taken several large mufflers and holesawed thru the baffle for a straight thru path and they are still quiet.
Both diesel pickups had bored out mufflers with 3" pipe and very quiet unless you leaned into the throttle.

For us guys that were young bucks over 50 years ago, the rage was to have dual exhaust as there was less back pressure when you were out to win a race and to have 'every horse under the hood' working in your favour. If you have original, but dual, mufflers there really is no difference in noise level. As already mentioned dual exhaust will rust out quicker from short drives but if you drive longer distances to get the condensation out of the system there is no difference in longevity. The market has changed a lot with time... 3" and bigger exhaust is found on a lot of pickups lately, did not exist 50 years ago. These big diameter pipes have reduced back pressure big time, hence little need for dual exhaust any more.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back