scrap metal price

37chief

A scrap dealer came by today to look at what I had. They are paying 7 cents a pound here on the west coast in San Diego. I probably have 10-12 ton. Does that price sound about right? Stan

My local yard prices

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240108_172639_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240108_172639_Chrome.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 114
A scrap dealer came by today to look at what I had. They are paying 7 cents a pound here on the west coast in San Diego. I probably have 10-12 ton. Does that price sound about right? Stan
Prices vary by the quality of the scrap and locations. To find out if you got a fair price today, I suggest you find and check with other scrap dealers in your area, unless you are planning a road trip to haul your scrap to the place that reports paying the highest in the replies you get. You might get more if you sort it, hard to say without actually seeing it.

Not exactly scrap iron, but about a week ago I took in some uncrushed pop/beer aluminum cans to the local scrap iron dealer. There must have been 8-10 trash bags of them on my pickup and I threw them on their scale. The attendant scribbled a number on a ticket and I went inside to retrieve my money. They were paying $.015/lb for aluminum and I got less than $5 for my effort. Because of the cost of the trash bags, I actually lost money. There are no other recyclers in the area.
I would have made more money throwing them along the roadside. 🤣

Not exactly scrap iron, but about a week ago I took in some uncrushed pop/beer aluminum cans to the local scrap iron dealer. There must have been 8-10 trash bags of them on my pickup and I threw them on their scale. The attendant scribbled a number on a ticket and I went inside to retrieve my money. They were paying $.015/lb for aluminum and I got less than $5 for my effort. Because of the cost of the trash bags, I actually lost money. There are no other recyclers in the area.
then i would have picked them up and had 100.00 in my pocket.😁

The farther away you are from the ships, the lower the price will be. This is why you see old derelict equipment parked in the weeds in remote locations. Costs more to haul it off than it's worth in scrap.

Implements and heavy pieces 170, car bodies 180, cut up machinery 3 ft by 18 in 180 NE Nebraska.

This site has national average prices.

Aluminum cans $0.45 or so
Prices in general. Note top of page Steel $233/ton

I wouldn't be surprised if the states most adamant about recycling forbid the processing of scrap, which would increase the shipping costs, reducing the scrap value.

Will the scrap dealer do the sorting, loading and hauling or will you? If the dealer is doing it I would expect a lower price per ton.

This site has national average prices.

Aluminum cans $0.45 or so
Prices in general. Note top of page Steel $233/ton

I wouldn't be surprised if the states most adamant about recycling forbid the processing of scrap, which would increase the shipping costs, reducing the scrap value.
Grade plays a part of the price received. Further reading of their list shows that is the average price they show for #1 steel. ($233 per ton is about 11.5 cents per pound). I doubt 37chief has all #1 material and sorting it is required to get those prices. A pile of mixed scrap will generally yield a lower price. I still believe checking with other local scrap dealers will give the correct answer to the question originally asked. For the record 170/ton is about 8.5 cents/pound, 180/ton is about 9 cents.

I am needing to move some old steel, and lead and copper out but I am in no hurry. Where can I find out long term trends? I am not asking about my local area, I am asking about world wide.

Southern WI unprepared is $175 a ton. Send several loads including a 7720 combine.

I took a bunch of batteries that were stashed for awhile here. Recycler said .15 a pound when I called. Got there and an employee counted them and said "looks like 56 bucks worth" I said don't you buy them by the pound, let's weigh them. Looked disgusted and put them on the scale, $207 in my pocket. Can't trust anybody!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back