Mark Poss

I used to get seed corn from Rural King. I believe the brand was Federal seed. They were either rounds or flats not mixed, and had the plate numbers for many different planters listed on the back of the bag. Rural king does not carry this seed anymore in my area anyway. With the couple of acres that I plant I really don’t want to go to a dealer and pay $350 for a 50 pound bag. Rural King was about a $100 per bag. Does anyone know of a farm supply store in northern Illinois that sells rr ready seed corn? Thanks, Mark

Check with a seed dealer, not all corn costs that much. If you only plant a couple acres you might find a farmer thats done with leftover seed

Super99 has it right - check with Your neighbors . They buy it in totes nowdays and plant a whole 80 acres plus without stopping to fill. I dont know of any company that sells it in 50 lb. bags - around here its 80,000 seeds per bag. One bag would do more than a couple acres any how at 32 to 36 thousand seeds per acre giving Your planter is capable . good luck My friend !

Not many farmers that use old planters with plates for either flat seed or round seed. All of the seed corn I see now is both round and flat mixed together. That makes it hard to get an accurate drop using my old 290 planter

Not many farmers that use old planters with plates for either flat seed or round seed. All of the seed corn I see now is both round and flat mixed together. That makes it hard to get an accurate drop using my old 290 planter
I understand the plate issue. Are you planting deer plots or corn for harvest? If deer plots, I wouldn't be so concerned about the stand , thick or thin.

I like to check row a couple of acres to have ear corn to grind up for calves. As long as I’m doing it I’d like it to look good. Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 37
Because of just feeding to livestock I switched to Bloody Butcher corn and have been very happy with it. I save the seed from the best ears and replant it every year. Animals love it ( even the dogs will eat it) it's higher protein, and NON GMO. Initial cost is the same as the others, wife even uses it for decoration.
20191009_162503.jpg

I used to get seed corn from Rural King. I believe the brand was Federal seed. They were either rounds or flats not mixed, and had the plate numbers for many different planters listed on the back of the bag. Rural king does not carry this seed anymore in my area anyway. With the couple of acres that I plant I really don’t want to go to a dealer and pay $350 for a 50 pound bag. Rural King was about a $100 per bag. Does anyone know of a farm supply store in northern Illinois that sells rr ready seed corn? Thanks, Mark
Check with area seed dealers. Some will have an economy variety. The big problem will be that most do not size seed for plate planters. Bags are typically 80,000 kernels which will plant 2-3 acres depending on drop rate.

Because of just feeding to livestock I switched to Bloody Butcher corn and have been very happy with it. I save the seed from the best ears and replant it every year. Animals love it ( even the dogs will eat it) it's higher protein, and NON GMO. Initial cost is the same as the others, wife even uses it for decoration.View attachment 67425
The critters around here have been eating up the Glass Gem from last year. Just saw hoof prints under the feeder a couple days ago, so it has to get moved up the tree. The deer will knock the feeders down if they can reach them.

Mike

When my son worked for NK seeds, the seed company would supply him with "plot bags". 1/3 bushel bags for test plots. He got me these quite often for my food plots. Got any friends or family working in the industry?

Do you have a Fleet-Farm near you? They do carry some bags of field corn. They are popular throughout Wisconsin, but don.t know if they go into Illinois.

Mark, if you want to go the open pollinated way and are not reliant on the roundup ready seed, there is Borries Seed at Teutopolis, IL. I got a couple bags shipped in to try this year is my only connection. It looks to be sized better than most seed corn I've seen last few years. They do have a website you can look for. They use a plate planter for their own planting so figure they are a little more picky on the sizing. I think if you pickup the price was $67/bu. Paul

Rob-See-Co bought Federal Hybrid Seed last year. They were going to keep the Federal name until the end of the 2022 - 2023 growing season.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back