I can t get it running
Light spark
I hot wired it because lost key
Put 12 volts on coil super light spark
I have compression
I spray carb with starting fluid
New plugs

Anyone can you help me

Light spark will not make it go. I would look to see if it has points or electronic Ign. If points, make them shine and clean, then gap correctly. If electronic, change
the coil. If setting points fails to fix it change the coil. (use the same coil primary resistance for resistor or without! Jim

What I find is it possibly is a Minneapolis Moline U302 engine if that helps in further diagnosis.

(quoted from post at 20:32:34 12/13/23) Light spark will not make it go. I would look to see if it has points or electronic Ign. If points, make them shine and clean, then gap correctly. If electronic, change
the coil. If setting points fails to fix it change the coil. (use the same coil primary resistance for resistor or without! Jim

It has electronic ignition.. no points

Hello ..mixed traffic.. welcome to YT! So you bought it
not running and the condition of the engine or what
kind of work has been done to it is unknown? Or it has
been running since you have had it?

(quoted from post at 00:01:56 12/14/23) Hello ..mixed traffic.. welcome to YT! So you bought it
not running and the condition of the engine or what
kind of work has been done to it is unknown? Or it has
been running since you have had it?

It s a West Skytrak with a MM206 engine
I believe it s a 1971
My friend owned it for years and years and years and it has always ran and worked
I bought it and it has 2 blown hydraulic lines on it and now it has weak spark.. from sitting and not being started for a year or so.

I am honestly probably just going to sell it.
I have 4500.00 in it and I know it s worth double that because I watched them selll on eBay

I think if someone made me an offer around what I have in it I would let it go or maybe someone will trade me something for it??

In the meantime I will get it running again

50 year old sky tract , around here no where close to $4500. In all honesty it probably would not
bring the $4500 here running. Good luck and hope you can come out on your investment.

(quoted from post at 05:48:04 12/14/23) 50 year old sky tract , around here no where close to $4500. In all honesty it probably would not
bring the $4500 here running. Good luck and hope you can come out on your investment.

It was running and believe me when I say it will be running again soon.
It s something stupid.. probably a bad distributor cap or something. I will fix it.
And about the value on my tractor I m not worried about what I get out of it. Honestly don t even care if I had to take a loss. I was just saying I have watched 2 sell on eBay in the last week and they brought 6800 for one not running and 9700 for one that ran.

I don t even care if I sell mine honestly
I imagine someone would trade me something cool for it tho
And I don t need to put a tall asking price on it at all.

I will do a little maintenance on it and get it running again.. I just don t start it often enough.

Weak spark meaning not a dark blue spark
It was light and sorta orange looking but very faint

Start with the same basic troubleshooting as any gas engine. Check fuel flow, make sure the air intake is clear. Clean/replace the points and gap them, check/replace spark plugs, make sure all wire connections are clean and bright. Make sure the battery is up to snuff and both ends of the battery cable connections are clean, bright and tight.

710 SkyTrak picture from the net.

mvphoto112404.jpg

if it has a porcelain resistor for the points, make sure the start side of switch is not wired through it. my engines need full voltage for starting it seems.
good luck

(quoted from post at 10:02:37 12/14/23) if it has a porcelain resistor for the points, make sure the start side of switch is not wired through it. my engines need full voltage for starting it seems.
good luck

It doesn t have points. I looked in the distributor and didn t see them.
I got it to fire and kinda started today multiple times but it backfires through the carb.

Do you know the firing order and which cylinder is number 1?

I suspect it isn t timing issues because nobody has changed anything.. I think intake valves are stuck shut
I spray carb with starting fluid and it doesn t even fire I pull the spark, plugs out and spray in the holes and it fires right up, but backfires through the carburetor

# 1 cylinder should be the one nearest the water pump/fan. I believe MM used the 1-3-4-2 firing order.

Have you tried hooking a booster battery to it while cranking? If it has been setting it may be dragging a bit and pulling voltage down at the ignition module.

Starting and dying could be a sign of a blockage in the fuel system. Is it gravity feed to the carb or pumped? Confirm fuel flow to the carb is good volume and steady. If it is then there may be a blockage in the carb from setting.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back