Truck clutch

1981 Ford F100, 300 inch 6 cylinder. 4 speed standard transmission. I bought this truck new. During the past 12-14 years I have installed or had installed 4 clutch/pressure plate units with all the machine shop work included. Also all new motor mounts and a transmission mount. I cannot seem to eliminate the clutch chatter on take off. I drive this truck almost daily and if I give it a little more gas and a quicker clutch release I can pretty much eliminate the chatter, but slipping the clutch in traffic is really annoying. If anyone can think of an unusual situation causing this problem I am listening. Thanks, Ellis

Check the idle speed, my 97 cummins will chatter when idle gets to low, push idle speed to the upper end of specs. Have had to do that on several engines, more so to eliminate vibrations but it helps with the clutch engagement too.

4 sets tells me you still have the small clutch in there.

I used to have an identical F100. I replaced the clutch and pressure plate 3 times. First two times it didn't last anywhere near as long as it should have. I finally went to my local Ford place and got the bigger clutch assembly along with the bigger bolts. It worked perfectly and never gave any trouble from then on.

Stay away from napa on this. I tried 2 sets from them and it grabbed and jumped so bad I had to pull them out the same day I installed them. Buy a good set and get the bigger one. The bolt holes are already in the flywheel for it.

1981 Ford F100, 300 inch 6 cylinder. 4 speed standard transmission. I bought this truck new. During the past 12-14 years I have installed or had installed 4 clutch/pressure plate units with all the machine shop work included. Also all new motor mounts and a transmission mount. I cannot seem to eliminate the clutch chatter on take off. I drive this truck almost daily and if I give it a little more gas and a quicker clutch release I can pretty much eliminate the chatter, but slipping the clutch in traffic is really annoying. If anyone can think of an unusual situation causing this problem I am listening. Thanks, Ellis
that is from oil on the clutch disc.

4 sets tells me you still have the small clutch in there.

I used to have an identical F100. I replaced the clutch and pressure plate 3 times. First two times it didn't last anywhere near as long as it should have. I finally went to my local Ford place and got the bigger clutch assembly along with the bigger bolts. It worked perfectly and never gave any trouble from then on.

Stay away from napa on this. I tried 2 sets from them and it grabbed and jumped so bad I had to pull them out the same day I installed them. Buy a good set and get the bigger one. The bolt holes are already in the flywheel for it.
Also, yours has the new style pressure plate. Too much travel will ruin the spring tension and make it jerky. Doesn't take long to start slipping then. Adjust the pedal to the way you drive, depress it no more than necessary and don't let anyone else behind the wheel. I loaned mine out once and learned that lesson.

I've always used Luk clutch sets, never had any problems. Is the fire wall cracked around the clutch master cylinder? Ford did have a repair patch for that because of clutch issues.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back