Why is my 1976 510 john deere spinning over slow

Ram2011

New User
Hi guys I'm new to the site, I purchased a backhoe from my cousin Ilast year I been from last year off and on trying to get it started, I did remove starter 2 weeks ago which it was a rebuild one he put on it 3 years ago, I took it apart and the brushes were seized up and a bush ing bad I replaced that free it up, seem to be spinning good, I went at it yesterday put starter bak on still same there, my cousin noticed tat the the bolt that connects to the starter and solenoid was turning red it was all most get dark outside then, I removed starter again check it over again today it seems to spin over fast no problem, I found out the positive wire was bad lot of corrosion so I replaced it that was yesterday did seem to make a difference I don't know what else yo do I tryed 2 battery that are new and it running them down I'm hoping someone here can help me out thanks

You could try and disconnect the hyd pump, also are all the levers in the neutral position. Fought one at work a while back, had seized up linkage under the cab that was actuating a hyd function and wouldn't
allow the machine start. Try the levers first then the pump.

I would order me a new starter for 510.
My past experience on a 2955 was about the
same. Nobody rebuilds starters around
here any more. New starter problem
solved.

Thanks guys for your feed back how do I let go the hydo pump, I think I tryed the levers, I price a starter it over $500 but I can get it rebuild for 180.

On the left hand side of the dash there is a lever called the power disconnect lever, pull it back till it locks, this releases the engine from the transmission. this is for starting in cold weather or when the batteries are low. try starting with this lever disengaged. To release the leaver pull back slightly and push the release button below the dash.

If a connection on the starter----solenoid area
or even a starter mounting bolt is turning red,
you've got a bad/ loose connection [high resistance].
If it was red on the back of the solenoid where the
heavy cables are attached, you'll have to take them
loose/ off & firm the connections up.
Jim

(quoted from post at 06:11:59 11/20/23)
I agree it's always good to check/clean/tighten ""ALL battery cables & connections""
thanks guys I think it has a destrocker but the qire is not installed so u know where it hooks up, and could anyone show me what lever I have to pull back on yo release power to transmission, I going to get new cables for the battery and clean everything up

Have you invested in an Operator's Manual for it? That tells what and where the different controls are and a wealth of other info you will need. If you don't have the Operator's Manual (OMT67927) for your 510 you can download and save a free copy of the Operator's manual at this link.

John Deere Technical Information Bookstore

On that homepage you will see three search boxes near the top. In the center box (''Search Term'') type OMT67927, then click the search icon to the right of that box. That should bring up the 510 Operator's Manual for you. Click on the yellow ''Download'' button and you can save that pdf to your device and print it from your device if you want a hard copy. (You can view it online without downloading if you click the green ''View Online'' button.)

The picture of the dash controls on page 4 shows the lever and release button suggested to you.

How long has it been setting without running? Was your cousin running it when you bought it or had it been setting at that time? You may have injection pump issues from setting.

(quoted from post at 18:19:32 11/20/23)
Have you invested in an Operator's Manual for it? That tells what and where the different controls are and a wealth of other info you will need. If you don't have the Operator's Manual (OMT67927) for your 510 you can download and save a free copy of the Operator's manual at this link.

On that homepage you will see three search boxes near the top. In the center box (''Search Term'') type OMT67927, then click the search icon to the right of that box. That should bring up the 510 Operator's Manual for you. Click on the yellow ''Download'' button and you can save that pdf to your device and print it from your device if you want a hard copy. (You can view it online without downloading if you click the green ''View Online'' button.)

The picture of the dash controls on page 4 shows the lever and release button suggested to you.

How long has it been setting without running? Was your cousin running it when you bought it or had it been setting at that time? You may have injection pump issues from setting.

Hi my cousin was using this about 3 years ago ,it's been that while sence it been running

(quoted from post at 04:07:28 11/21/23)
(quoted from post at 18:19:32 11/20/23)

Hi my cousin was using this about 3 years ago ,it's been that while sence it been running

Hi guys I didn't know there was a lever to disengage the transmission

(reply to post at 09:02:39 11

/21/23)

If I can figure out why spinning over slow, the look at the fuel , I didn't know there was a lever to disengage transmission, I really appreciate all the feed back guys

(quoted from post at 14:26:44 11/21/23)

/21/23)

If I can figure out why spinning over slow, the look at the fuel , I didn't know there was a lever to disengage transmission, I really appreciate all the feed back guys

Some questions for you to answer:

1. Did you download and save the Operator's Manual?

2. Have you fixed the connection between the starter and solenoid which you said, in your first post, was turning red when you were cranking the engine?

3. What is the voltage at the battery cable post of the solenoid when the engine is not being cranked?

4. What is the voltage at the battery cable post of the solenoid when the engine is being cranked?

You have been cranking it already so if there was anything stuck in the injection pump that would be damaged by cranking, it is too late to avoid that now.

5. How much fuel is in the tank?

6. Have you changed the fuel filter?

7. If you changed the fuel filter, did you bleed the fuel system as the manual describes?

(quoted from post at 16:01:21 11/21/23)
(quoted from post at 14:26:44 11/21/23)

/21/23)

Some questions for you to answer:

1. Did you download and save the Operator's Manual?

2. Have you fixed the connection between the starter and solenoid which you said, in your first post, was turning red when you were cranking the engine?

3. What is the voltage at the battery cable post of the solenoid when the engine is not being cranked?

4. What is the voltage at the battery cable post of the solenoid when the engine is being cranked?

You have been cranking it already so if there was anything stuck in the injection pump that would be damaged by cranking, it is too late to avoid that now.

5. How much fuel is in the tank?

6. Have you changed the fuel filter?

7. If you changed the fuel filter, did you bleed the fuel system as the manual describes?

Hi I did download a manual thanks ,I didn't get a chance till the weekend to check on the cable connection ,I will check the voltage this weekend to so should it be the same voltage as what's at the battery, what should the voltage be when spinning over. I did replace fuel filter and I got lots of fuel in the tank. I didn't not bleed the fuel system yet. I'm hoping to get at it the weekend when I get off work. Thanks guys for the help

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back