Ultra Pasteurization

interesting. I do not like Ultra pasteurized milk. doesn't taste right. we get our milk from a small local dairy that still does batch (as far as i know) pasteurization. still kills alot of the good stuff but i would guess its still better. I was getting raw milk from a friend who milked 10ish head to feed calves but often had too much and dumped 10-20 gal a day. i usually pasturized especially if i got it in the summer as he had no bulk tank. when i got it it was straight out of the milker. but depending on the cow was darn tasty milk. is amazing how much more cream some of his cows put out than others too.

The article lost all credibility for me and I stopped reading at this paragraph:

"Large amounts of grain are not a natural diet for cows, nor is it natural for cows to live in close quarters with no way of distancing themselves from their fresh manure. To keep the cows alive in such conditions of filth, antibiotics became necessary. It was a recipe for antibiotic resistance and stronger, mutated pathogens."

Anyone who has dealt with cattle knows that there are two major outright LIES in this paragraph.

The article lost all credibility for me and I stopped reading at this paragraph:

"Large amounts of grain are not a natural diet for cows, nor is it natural for cows to live in close quarters with no way of distancing themselves from their fresh manure. To keep the cows alive in such conditions of filth, antibiotics became necessary. It was a recipe for antibiotic resistance and stronger, mutated pathogens."

Anyone who has dealt with cattle knows that there are two major outright LIES in this paragraph.
Which two are you noticing?

While I find that paragraph a little bit mis-leading...I wouldn't argue against its point. Their scope of the comments are comparing natural wild-ranging animals to the domesticated, hybrid-breed of the modern 'production' animal, which is hardly a unicorn anymore. I doubt the Creator designed an animal for a dairy barn and then tossed it in the wild to fend for itself. Lots of changes along the way...by and for the humans. Personally, I would prefer the natural animal in its natural habitat.

Which two are you noticing?

While I find that paragraph a little bit mis-leading...I wouldn't argue against its point. Their scope of the comments are comparing natural wild-ranging animals to the domesticated, hybrid-breed of the modern 'production' animal, which is hardly a unicorn anymore. I doubt the Creator designed an animal for a dairy barn and then tossed it in the wild to fend for itself. Lots of changes along the way...by and for the humans. Personally, I would prefer the natural animal in its natural habitat.
Lie #1, the implication that "living in filth" is unnatural. When given the choice between slop and green grass, cows overwhelmingly choose to stand in the slop rather than lay in green grass. If there is nothing but green grass, they make a slop hole and stand in it.

Lie #2, the implication that cows are pumped full of antibiotics to keep them alive. Antibiotics are expensive and are given to cattle only as a last resort. There is no profit in keeping cattle continually doped up for their entire lives. Besides the cost, you can't ship milk or meat that is treated with antibiotics. You can't even get antibiotics here in NY anymore without a vet examination and prescription. It's cheaper to let the cow die than to treat it for a single illness, let alone keep them on a constant IV drip of antibiotics.

Lie #1, the implication that "living in filth" is unnatural. When given the choice between slop and green grass, cows overwhelmingly choose to stand in the slop rather than lay in green grass. If there is nothing but green grass, they make a slop hole and stand in it.

Lie #2, the implication that cows are pumped full of antibiotics to keep them alive. Antibiotics are expensive and are given to cattle only as a last resort. There is no profit in keeping cattle continually doped up for their entire lives. Besides the cost, you can't ship milk or meat that is treated with antibiotics. You can't even get antibiotics here in NY anymore without a vet examination and prescription. It's cheaper to let the cow die than to treat it for a single illness, let alone keep them on a constant IV drip of antibiotics.
Yes dairy cows will make a mud hole under a tree in the heat of the summer, but not a manure hole

Yes dairy cows will make a mud hole under a tree in the heat of the summer, but not a manure hole
Where do you think the moisture for the mud comes from?

And I've never seen them make one under a tree. Our cows would stand on the concrete in the barnyard in the heat of summer, when there were plenty of cool places to be out in the pasture, under trees, by the creek. They'd rather stand in their own manure on concrete. If you closed the gate to the barnyard, they'd stand outside the gate and turn it into a slop hole.

Where do you think the moisture for the mud comes from?

And I've never seen them make one under a tree. Our cows would stand on the concrete in the barnyard in the heat of summer, when there were plenty of cool places to be out in the pasture, under trees, by the creek. They'd rather stand in their own manure on concrete. If you closed the gate to the barnyard, they'd stand outside the gate and turn it into a slop hole.
No arguments from me cause I don't know but what do you think about ultra pasteurized dairy products?

Last edited:

I don't know what slop you see cows standing in but I sure see them standing in areas where I wouldn't stand when the heat outside or bugs are biting. They will go stand in a terrible dirty area and try to use that to stop biting bugs. What I have seen in my cows is a hot non windy day they go stand in a metal bin with no floor, ground can have 3 inches of sh!t in it and flies on the wall like crazy and hot as can be, and they still go in there. I chase them out and lock the door or they will spend all day in there. They also will like you say, go lay in the biggest sh!t pile when there is nice dry areas to lay. Beef cows don't do this just the dairy. proff they are brain dead. LOL

No arguments from me cause I don't know but what do you think about ultra pasteurized dairy products?
There is a whole lot of info to try to digest on the raw milk, whole wheat, un refrigerated eggs, and so forth stories going around.

Milk and manure and urine orifices are so close to each other, and there are so many bugs out there wanting to live in milk. The pasteurization is/was done to solve a problem.

Does that create a new problem we hadn’t noticed, and are there ways to solve this new potential problem without reverting to having the old problem return?

As others pointed out the article and many of those that follow such type of info often focus so much on this bit of info and scare mongering themselves to importance, that they forget the big picture. If pasteurized milk isn’t perfect, I believe it is better then the old system of putting raw milk out into widespread distribution with all the bad bugs still in it.

Is there a better yet system than we have? That will be a noteworthy article. If these folk could advance us forward. Not just a negative Nelly or a roll us back to past problems person.

The info is fine, but what of it? How can we get to a better place.

That article reads like Eco/Vegan propaganda, trying to sow FUD which many provably false claims and inuendos.

UHT milk has some uses, mostly for your emergency bug out bag since most emergencies bad enough that you need to "bug out" will leave you cold and wet and really happy if you have the necessities to make a hot cup of coffee. The few European places I've been to where UHT box milk seems to be the norm just support my assessment of their lower standard of living.

I only have a handful of beef cows here, no dairy. I do have some milk goats and have made wonderful cheese, yogurt and sour cream with that goat milk that I personally filter and Pasteurize. No illnesses noted here.

I've had some of that milk and had 2 instances where it was curdled but didn't smell bad. I don't buy it any more.

Ultra pasteurized is nasty!

Switched to standard process Borden's for a while, until it started to taste like creamed corn. Figured it was either the silage or extra corn ration to make it taste like that.... & creamed corn to me is also nasty. So, ended up switching over to Natures Touch. That is exactly like the Borden's before the change.

You can also go a step up & get the milk sold in glass bottles. That's a great flavor, near as you can get to fresh from the bulk tank. Just don't consume it for too long. When you go back to milk in plastic jugs.... it will taste as bad as ultra pasteurized.

It's also a better alternative for making your own cheese at home.

Edit: Jon F's comment got me thinkin'....

The Natures Touch is good for at least three or four days after expiry. Whatever my sister gets at Pick 'n' Save or elsewhere, that's ultra pasteurized, goes bad a lot sooner than that date.

Mike

P.S.

Anything would be better than this....

Ex5Dd9eWYAMjEOH.jpg

I was raised on raw milk from our cows until I got married, then got raw milk from my father inlaw until he sold his cows. That's when we started drinking chalk water, as my dad called it, still do.

I haven’t drunk milk since the neighbor hung it up when I was a kid.

Today we do buy UHT milk as it is mostly used for cooking and we would be throwing out mostly full half gallons otherwise.

We grew up drinking raw Guernsey milk, had a lot of cream on the pitcher! I remember as a kid going in the milk house and fighting to wrestle a can out of the water tank, knock the cover off and dip out a cup full. No wonder cholesterol is high today! Put some cream in a bowl of raspberries and whip until creamy. Mmmmm good!

I don't see a lie anywhere in the quoted text and I raise daily cows and dairy goats. on my operations. And I'm in the DAIRY STATE of WISCONSIN.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back