Recent content by ChrisFromCLE

  1. C

    Got 12V kit, lost docs, anyone recognize this?

    I have no personal experience - my 8N is still 6 volt. For 12V, ChatGBT recommends a group 35 battery: https://chatgpt.com/share/6abb8c8f-46f8-83ea-9e97-1f342f7eac09?ogimg=plain It did recommend the right battery for my Farmall Cub so this might work. As you have found out, there is a wealth...
  2. C

    Smoking battery terminal, why?

    A wise journeyman once told me that, “All electricity is smoke. The trick is to keep the smoke inside the wire.” Many perfect answers above regarding good cables and cable ends and clean connections. This will be an easy fix for you. Chris from CLE
  3. C

    12V Alternator Issue

    Well, it is all back together and confirmed to be working properly. The only quirky thing is that I need to rev the engine up to about mid-throttle in order for the alternator to self excite and start charging. I can live with that so this project is done. Here are my takeaways for using a...
  4. C

    12V Alternator Issue

    Actually, the larger, original pulley was the wrong width (3/8 instead of the 1/2” belt width). So it was larger and the belt rode high slowing the alternator even more. I changed the belt to a shorter length and maintained the correct 1/2” width matching the smaller and the drive pulleys...
  5. C

    12V Alternator Issue

    So, here is where we stand as of today - the generator shop replaced the Transpo F7078 stating the first one was defective. He also changed the pulley on the alternator (Ford G1) to a smaller size. I put it up to the Cub and the smaller pulley with the old belt did not fit up. In order to to...
  6. C

    12V Alternator Issue

    Duner, Thanks for the schematic. I’ll give the guy who sold me the Transpo one more chance. If that fails I will change the regulator using this drawing. Thanks, Chris from CLE
  7. C

    12V Alternator Issue

    Thanks for the response. I did try that. No change even at full throttle. Chris from CLE
  8. C

    12V Alternator Issue

    Thanks for your insight Jim. I will pull it again on Monday. Chris from CLE
  9. C

    12V Alternator Issue

    It is an incandescent lamp, sealed unit so not sure of the wattage but it measures 26 ohms, I thought about needing more resistance so I tried it with two lamps in series. Is it possible that even 52 ohms is not enough? Thanks, Chris from CLE
  10. C

    12V Alternator Issue

    Yes, wired exactly like this. Chris from CLE
  11. C

    12V Alternator Issue

    I’m scratching my head about a 12V alternator on my other tractor, a Farmall Cub. I know that this is the N Series Forum but we have a wealth of conversion experience not found elsewhere. Hopefully you can help me figure this out. It has a Ford three wire alternator with a Transpo f7078...
  12. C

    On again, off again

    As you work through your troubleshooting, be sure to change only ONE thing at a time… I would also look at the coil. Sometimes they breakdown when hot. Same for the condenser. Chris from CLE
  13. C

    Cub Governor Question

    Thanks for the responses but maybe I did not explain clearly enough. I did adjust the rod per the manual directions. The issue is that the arm that runs from the governor across the front of the tractor and connects to the carb activating rod has about 12 degrees of play in it. If I adjust...
  14. C

    Cub Governor Question

    I am reviving my 1950 Cub after 20 years of storage. I rebuilt the carb and it runs well but I have only 50% throttle response. From low I can move the throttle handle to about half way on the quadrant before the governor kicks in and the engine revs up. I tried to adjust the governor linkage...
  15. C

    1940 Ford 9n backfiring

    Did they weld shut? Can you open them by hand? New points might be in order. Chris from CLE
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top