Recent content by dfinch1938

  1. D

    Perkins diesel engine coolant temperature

    Can you tell me the reasoning behind running kerosene in the engine? If it is to remove carbon from combustion chambers, there are better alternatives which do not include Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil. I use a bit of Diesel Kleen in my fuel. Helps cold starts and keeps the fuel system...
  2. D

    Perkins diesel engine coolant temperature

    Does your engine temperature gauge use a filled bulb with metal tube? Mine uses an electric resistance type sensor with one contact. If yours is the filled system style, make sure there are no kinks in the tube. If the electrical resistance style, you may have a bad connection at the...
  3. D

    Perkins diesel engine coolant temperature

    I agree. When I bought this tractor earlier this year, the radiator had a bullet hole in the core. Had it repaired and it hasn't leaked a drop. I had to chisel the oil filter off as it was on so tight. The seller had painted everything...even mud left behind by the previous owner. Now, I've...
  4. D

    Perkins diesel engine coolant temperature

    2003 MF231S, Perkins 3 cylinder, new temperature gauge, engine never smokes, uses no oil, starts well, runs well, about 2000 hours. The lower radiator hose never gets too warm to hold. Gauge shows 25% when at operating temperature. Is this normal? Do these engine run that cool? I'm...
  5. D

    Milky looking Hydraulic fluid

    I recently bought a MF231 diesel. My hydraulic/transmission oil was also like skim milk. It cost me $100.00 to change it (about 10 gallons for my model). I chose Wal-Mart Super Tech tractor oil which is listed as equal to M-F Permatran III, the recommended oil. You can get by with oil from...
  6. D

    Advice on plowing

    Matt, I too have just cleared 5 acres and have started planting Berseem clover with the intent of tilling it under in spring (the legume clover cover crop will deposit lots of nitrogen into the soil and help improve the soil when tilled back in), I used a disk to break up the ground. Many said...
  7. D

    JD 455G track loader

    Would some photos of the controls help?
  8. D

    JD 455G track loader

    There is one lever at the LH side which controls the tracks. When it is down, the tractor is in "park". When it is moved from park, one selects neutral or one of several forward or reverse ratios, gears or speeds. This shifting is done without a clutch, hence the term Powershift. Shifting is...
  9. D

    JD 455G track loader

    Sounds reasonable but today, we are getting about 3-4 inches of snow here in Dixieland. Maybe this weekend. Thanks.
  10. D

    JD 455G track loader

    I'm not aware of a safety lever. The lever on the left is moved from the park position to either a forward or reverse position. The throttle is set to provide adequate power. The pedals are moved to steer right or left. This machine is fitted with Powershift. No clutch pedal...steer pedals do...
  11. D

    JD 455G track loader

    Left to right pedals are small pedal...didn't know it was to inch, next two are steering pedals, right pedal returns engine to idle speed. The steer pedals are allegedly supposed to come to attention when hydraulic fluid is at pressure. Mine do not pump up. I suspect there is no hydraulic...
  12. D

    Hydraulic top link for MF 231

    I have attempted to install a hydraulic top link on my 231 but, I cannot get the cylinder (fitted with check valves) to operate in both directions. Extends only even when I swap lines. My MF is fitted with the TS300 diverter valve, two lines exiting the TS300, a control valve (Metro) on the...
  13. D

    Having fun

    I've got both VHS and Beta format machines. Which would you like?
  14. D

    JD 455G track loader

    The 455G has been abandoned by the owner on my property. He cleared my 5 acres with it and it ran fine and operated well. Initially, after several months of inactivity, I started it and it moved about 5 feet then quit moving. That was when I found the hydraulic oil low. Five gallons later...
  15. D

    JD 455G track loader

    It won't move. Bucket hydraulics are fine. Engine runs fine. Hydraulic oil reservoirs are full but, the tracks will not operate. Any help is appreciated.
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top