Recent content by jjgurley

  1. J

    MF275 Engine SN confusion

    My 4.248 has a "LF22312U781251H" stamped into the engine block (above the CAV). Is the 781251 the "engine serial number" or something else? The decoder calls it a serial number. It doesn't look like the ones used for parts shopping. My operator's manual says the SN is on the...
  2. J

    MF275 Independent PTO always on

    Never mind - I was able to slow it down in the lever forward position, so I think it's just a wonky brake.
  3. J

    MF275 Independent PTO always on

    All I know is that it's turning with enough gusto that I can't stop it with my boot (and without breaking my leg).
  4. J

    MF275 Independent PTO always on

    Judging by the lever, my PTO is an independent style. Sitting in the shop with the engine running, it turns with force at all times. I don't know which lever position is which, although it doesn't seem to matter. Maybe I'm not understanding how it's supposed to work.
  5. J

    Stubborn 4.248 with low compression

    I rebuilt the CAV to get where I am. It was completely filled with goo from sitting with water filled diesel for 5-10 years. Getting the CAV out of the machine is a pain, so I'm hoping that's not the issue.
  6. J

    Stubborn 4.248 with low compression

    It finally got warm and I finally got the energy to address my tractor again. I tried to duplicate the conditions where it ran briefly last summer, so I injected about 20cc of oil into all pistons (via pulling the injectors). After putting it back together it was actually like it was nearly...
  7. J

    Basic 275 questions

    I'm giving up on starting a tractor due to the low compression and am about to start tearing it down. It sat for 5-10 years outside without any diesel preservative. It's not my tractor and I'm trying to repair it as a volunteer, with only my funds. Relpacing the lift pump, fuel filter, and...
  8. J

    Stubborn 4.248 with low compression

    The problem is that some diesel guys have said it will never start, and others saying it should run at least a bit. I know it ran briefly, so I'm not sure who to believe. If there was a clown involved, it was probably me. I use ether routinely on my 580E and 450C with no issues. My neighbor...
  9. J

    Stubborn 4.248 with low compression

    I have an MF275 w/ 4.248 that ran five years ago, but sat in a field since then. I've replaced the lift pump, filter, and rebuilt the CAV, and I have 200psi in all cylinders (after adding a bit of oil to each cylinder). All injectors pop at 2250psi. Just about gave up trying to get it to...
  10. J

    Lift pump oddity MF275

    That's the number I ordered. The new pump had a stamped finger while the old one was two pieces of thicker steel riveted together. The new one was "straighter" than the old, and after installation, the new one never relaxed enough to allow the hand lever to operate. It couldn't be installed...
  11. J

    Lift pump oddity MF275

    I had based my coice on SN. Four bolt, but even after swapping the lever, the odds of getting the engine in a position where there's any manual pumping action is about 15%. The lobe must be mostly lobe and not much valley. Still feel better with an electric...
  12. J

    Lift pump oddity MF275

    I bought a replacement lift pump (from YT) and it didn't go as expected. The "lever" that rides on the lobed cam on the crankshaft was too long (or too straight) such that the lever never relaxed, hence the pump never pumped. I ended up swapping just the lever and associated pivot parts with...
  13. J

    MF 275 CAV issue?

    I stumbled on the existence of the block heater (cord is sort of hidden), so with that, a warm day, and a touch of ether, it started. Seems to run fine although I want to check the oil, transmission, and coolant before letting it warm up. Thanks for the advice!
  14. J

    MF 275 CAV issue?

    I'm a little confused. On the 4-248, the injector is a deep hole that doesn't give you a lot of ways to aim the oil. I stuck the flexible oil can spout down the hole and gave each cylinder two doses, which I'd guess is about a CC per dose. How do I do better than that to get it to the rings...
  15. J

    MF 275 CAV issue?

    I had to do the squirt of oil to get the 200psi reading. I can try again, but I'm pessimistic.
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top