Recent content by serieous

  1. S

    Reconditioning Farmall Super A

    Thanks for the hints LMack. I removed the gas tank and rinsed it out with fresh gas, several times. I removed the sediment bowl, and cleaned all the passages, and gave it a new screen and gasket. It now has fresh gas and runs fine, and idles down. Starting is a little tricky, but a quick jerk on...
  2. S

    Reconditioning Farmall Super A

    Hi, I'm getting an old Farmall Super A ready to work in the garden. It has sat for a few years, but I did get it fired up yesterday. Carb needs some attention, but it does start and run, and will pull itself around the yard. I will have a look at the carb, and change the engine oil & filter...
  3. S

    860 Hydraulic Problems

    Ford 860 3 point lift arms sometimes will not function after sitting for a few days. It does lift when I first start the tractor, lifts to whatever level it was left at. But then often will not lift further, and when I drop the hydraulics it will not lift back up. I can get it to work again by...
  4. S

    Ford 961 No Start

    UPDATE. I did go all out and buy a new battery; I'll keep the old one for my Jubilee that's coming back home this winter. I've cleaned and sanded all the wire connections; regulator, starter, generator, key, ground, coil, relay, terminal block, everything. It's starting and running well now...
  5. S

    Ford 961 No Start

    Showcrop, thanks for the reply. I don't think fuel is the issue; it's only flooding because the spark isn't strong enough. I've found an issue in the wiring, and am concentrating on that. Just in to warm up my fingers, it was 0 F out in the shop this morning. Thanks
  6. S

    Ford 961 No Start

    I spent some time going back over connections, cleaning, sanding, etc. At each connection I started it again. Always started perfectly. I only let it run for a few seconds each time (fumes inside), I didn't charge it again today. I put the old coil back on. Started fine. I started it about 20...
  7. S

    Ford 961 No Start

    UPDATE I had tried to start it a lot yesterday afternoon, and had worn the battery down. This morning I put a 30 amp battery charger on it; and left it a couple of hours. The same as I've done a lot of other times in the last few weeks. I just went out now and tried to start it; it started...
  8. S

    Ford 961 No Start

    Old, I've only checked point gap at one lobe, I will check the rest. I did make up a jumper wire last night to go directly from battery to coil. I'll head out to the shop this morning. (Minus 4 F out there this morning, I've been dragging my feet.) Thanks
  9. S

    Ford 961 No Start

    Sean, Still 6V pos ground. New coil is for 6V Ford (from TSC). I don't know of a resistor (unless it's in the coil). Thanks.
  10. S

    Ford 961 No Start

    Thanks old. I've been trying to troubleshoot for a few weeks; good thing I'm retired, a lot of hours into it. Old carb was soaked and wired and blown out. That didn't cure it. Brand new carb on now. That didn't cure it. Problem did start this time with some water in the air cleaner (tractor...
  11. S

    Ford 961 No Start

    The old Ford is getting tired. It's a 960 or 961, looks like a 4000, red paint under the blue, might have been a selectoshift once, 5 speed now. Compression 125 to 130. Bit of a bottom end noise. Carb problems this summer; I removed it and cleaned it, worked ok for a day or so. Lately it hasn't...
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top