3pt hitch goes up and down but will not maintain a position when stopped it goes back up

Thanks for all the photos, WOW what a complicated setup. Does the 434 have power steering as well?
Are you in Canada or USA?
On our family farm, we had B414D and 434 with IH 1501 loader on it for about 10 years and then replaced with the newer IH 384 with IH 1550 loader. The 434 was used as a loader tractor with a lot of use, very tough tractor.
What do you use the 434? Was the extra double acting remote outlets on the rear used for a snow blower shute cylinder?
Now to your problem:
1) The Red Knobbed lever closest to the fender is the Draft Control lever and shout be fully Forward unless you are using a 3pt plow or harrow or similar implement that is attempting to maintain a constant depth in the ground. With the engine OFF and moving the Draft Control lever from bottom front to top rear, the chrome sensing rod at the top link should move in and out.
3) The Black Knobbed lever is the 3pt Raise and Lower lever for the 3pt hitch, it is used the raise or lower the 3pt hitch and the hitch height should follow the lever and maintain the 3pt height where ever the lever is at in the guide position. It can also be used to control the single remote outlet with the steel hydraulic line that comes from the hydraulic control valve at the front of the seat but that is a topic for another discussion.
I also notice the Maximum 3pt height Stop bolt is missing from the 3pt Raise/Lower lever guide slot, I can see on the photo the slight color difference on the guide slot where the Stop bolt used to be, this should be replaced or it will damage the 3pt system. See Red Circled Stop bolt in the photo below.

I am having some difficulty understanding your problem with the 3pt hitch other than it doesn't hold its position.

Here is a test if you have a 3pt implement to connect to the 3pt hitch all the better.

Setup, Isolator valve open, Draft Control full forward, 3pt Raise/Lower lever all the way forward, engine running.

1) Use move the 3pt Raise/Lower lever rearward from the fully forward position to mid point of the lever guide position, stop, leave lever in this position. Does the 3pt remain at same position or does it creep down and then hiccup and go up to same position again?
2) Now move the 3pt Raise/Lower lever all the way up the lever guide just short of where the Stop bolt should have been, does the 3pt hitch follow the position of the 3pt Raise/Lower lever? Does it creep down and hiccup up to previous position?
3) Slowly move 3pt Raise/Lower lever down from maximum height position in step 2 above. Does the 3pt go down slow and if you stop moving lever forward does the 3pt stop lowering?
4) Using 3pt Raise/Lower lever raise 3pt to maximum height as in step 2 above and shut off engine and see if 3pt slowly creeps down, it may take several hours. If it creeps down the repeat test 4 and after shutting engine off, close the Isolator valve and see if 3pt creeps down?
WARNING before STARTING ENGINE AGAIN OPEN ISOLATOR VALVE AND PUSH RAISE/LOWER ALL THE WAY FORWARD.

Post results of tests please.
I suspect someone has plumbed the loader and that extra remote valve incorrectly.
PS, I maybe away tomorrow working on my brother's farm.

1710358447481.png

That steel line doing a 90 degree turn around the transmission cover and going into the cylinder head should lead directly to the pressure side of the pump.
Relief valve is in the control valve in the cylinder head.

I appreciate all the responses i will run the checks and tests and i will post results yes i agree Jimb2 im new to hydraulics and id have to say this one is a little beyond my comfort zone but trying to disect it and figure it out from the pump back what i find most confusing is the extra remotes and spool control for rear- because tractor has its own controls for remote cylinders so im lost when it comes to added spool to do same thing unless im misunderstanding it- the tractor is my first tractor that i hoped to fix up and use for light bush hoging and had hopes of using plow for a garden and loader for snow removal and loading wood for winter from my property i am in ontario canada and from what ive seen online this tractor is Canadian not UK version has the Bd154 engine

Thanks for feedback Fritz Maurer i see the line your refering to i will trace that one and see if it goes into pressure side of pump the loader makes for a tight squeeze and there is also a cab heater that i still need to remove it just in the way but havnt figured out what to do with the 2 coolant lines connected to it

Campfire, do you live anywhere close to Ottawa, Ontario?
If you live within a two hour drive of Ottawa, I would enjoy having a look at your 434. I spend many hours in the seat of one when I was a teenager back in the 1960s.

Hi everyone ive done test 1-4 with same 0 results 3pt hitch does not move period if i use either of the levers- only goes up and down when i use spool control but like i mentioned when i first posted when i use spool to lower 3pt hitch and then i release it - it slowly comes back up as if i just started engine -but has no resistance i can stop it easily- and to answer Fritz Maurers question as to where the 90 degree line goes it goes to side of single spool that makes 3pt hitch move im guessing thats not correct which may explain issue if not plumbed correctly

Attachments

• 20240313_233911.jpg
    20240313_233911.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
JimB2 that would be great but unfortunatley im about 3 hours from Ottawa in in Kawartha lakes district of Peterborough

JimB2 that would be great but unfortunatley im about 3 hours from Ottawa in in Kawartha lakes district of Peterborough

Yes, Kawartha Lakes is to far for a day drive but we plan to visit friends in Bancroft this spring so maybe could visit then.
Over the weekend, I will draw a diagram of how the loader valves, remote valve and the 3pt should be connected.
If you want to learn about hydraulic systems, these older IH tractors all use an Open Center Hydraulic system where the high pressure hydraulic oil has to flow in a continuous loop back to the reservoir, there cannot be any "T"s off the loop or the pressure will be lost.
Google Open Center Hydraulic system. Newer and larger tractors use a Closed Center Hydraulic system, like your house hold water system. many taps off high pressure lines and oil only flows when a valve is opened.

PS, I didn't see any indication that your 434 had the IH power steering, does it have some farmer made power steering system?

Hi yes sure i would welcome a visit- but a diagram could help that would be great as im at a loss here as to what to change without destroying pump as for t's there seems to be a few - i will hold off trying to find a bush hog or any other implements until i can figure out issue with hydraulics- there is no power steering i dont want to give up on it as it seems to start up nicley although smokes but not sure if thats normal for a deisel- would like to semi out back together as it was missing grill and various other parts which ive managed to track done full fluid changes hydraulic- transmission - engine and coolant as it was apparent it had not been done in years- i have yet to tackle fuel system but will soon i appreciate your help.

Hi yes sure i would welcome a visit- but a diagram could help that would be great as im at a loss here as to what to change without destroying pump as for t's there seems to be a few - i will hold off trying to find a bush hog or any other implements until i can figure out issue with hydraulics- there is no power steering i dont want to give up on it as it seems to start up nicley although smokes but not sure if thats normal for a deisel- would like to semi out back together as it was missing grill and various other parts which ive managed to track done full fluid changes hydraulic- transmission - engine and coolant as it was apparent it had not been done in years- i have yet to tackle fuel system but will soon i appreciate your help.
I will make the diagram for you over the weekend, if I am not called away to gather maple sap for my brother.
Re Diesel smoke, normal for those BD-154 engines until they are warmed up and if you jerk the throttle open or lug them.

Ok good to hear the smokes normal yes sure thank you whenever you get around to diagram would be great- gathering maple sap sounds fun i live across from a maple syrup farm nothing like the real stuff cant beat it.

I will make the diagram for you over the weekend, if I am not called away to gather maple sap for my brother.
Re Diesel smoke, normal for those BD-154 engines until they are warmed up and if you jerk the throttle open or lug them.
@JimB2 I assume you are just making a generic diagram. If you are making a diagram of the hydraulics on his tractor you a far better man than I am! :oops:

@JimB2 I assume you are just making a generic diagram. If you are making a diagram of the hydraulics on his tractor you a far better man than I am! :oops:
Yes, just a diagram the way the loaders and other valves should be connected on those IH Bradford, UK built tractor.
There were some crate units assembled by IH in Louisville,KY, USA, that had factory installed auxiliary hydraulic valves but never seen any here in Canada as the tractors in Canada were shipped complete from plant in UK. Local IH dealer would install IH 1501 loader as they were manufactured in IH plant Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Yes, just a diagram the way the loaders and other valves should be connected on those IH Bradford, UK built tractor.
There were some crate units assembled by IH in Louisville,KY, USA, that had factory installed auxiliary hydraulic valves but never seen any here in Canada as the tractors in Canada were shipped complete from plant in UK. Local IH dealer would install IH 1501 loader as they were manufactured in IH plant Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
I understand, I thought you were going to diagram all the additional hydraulic circuits he has added to his tractor. That would be something based on his photos!

Hi Camfire, see attached PDF document, Hydraulics 101 for Beginners and one method to connect Loader and Auxiliary Remote Hydraulic Valves to an IH 434 tractor. A disclaimer, I do not know your level of knowledge of Hydraulic Systems, so I cover some of the basics first.
All other Posters, read a give a review.

Hint, when you Click on the attached PDF file your browser will download it to Download Directory for the browser you are using.

Attachments

• Hydraulics 101 for Beginners for IH 434 Tractors.pdf
    599.8 KB · Views: 27
Hi Camfire, see attached PDF document, Hydraulics 101 for Beginners and one method to connect Loader and Auxiliary Remote Hydraulic Valves to an IH 434 tractor. A disclaimer, I do not know your level of knowledge of Hydraulic Systems, so I cover some of the basics first.
All other Posters, read a give a review.

Hint, when you Click on the attached PDF file your browser will download it to Download Directory for the browser you are using.
Hi Jimb2 - hope you had a good weekend looks like we got on last taste of winter today in my area cold and hopefully last of snow- i appreciate you taking the time to make up diagram i will have a closer look this week if it warms up unfortunatley i dont have a work shop so working in the cold is a little trying but im hoping i can start making some sense of the hydraulics on this tractor many years of different owners doing there part in "fixing" this tractor- i will post results as soon as i can - thanks again

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back