Coating a lawnmower deck

Not proven, but I would think the stuff they use for spray-on bed liners for pickups might be ideal. Probably not too expensive either.

I used spray on graphite last time I worked on mine, not sure if gave any benefit or how long it has lasted. My JD 420 60" deck still cuts very well though.

Not sure if this is the coating you mean, you can buy mower deck spray, I have used silicone spray, but the Simplicity mechanic told me to just use WD 40. Water displacement 40.

I clean each fall & brush used motor oil all over underneath & let sit till next spring.

In theory, the coating would work so well that you'd rarely have to clean the mower underneath. I think the coating would have to be as slick as a teflon-lined frying pan and as durable as POR-15. I never got around to a POR-15 paint job so I probably won't follow Scott down that rabbit hole.

Anyone come up with a proven coating for the underside of a cutting deck.
I have a 107 Cub Cadet with a 42" deck that was getting in bad condition. I looked into powder coating and went that way. It took a little dismantling of the spindles and a few other small pieces. But the results were well worth it. I was very pleased with the outcome. This may or may not be for you. Just my two cents.

I 've seen small decks that have a fitting for a garden hose. Run the mower and turn on the water. Big decks may need more than one fitting. I assume it would have to be done before the grass dries. I would greas it after to push any water out of the bearings.

I 've seen small decks that have a fitting for a garden hose. Run the mower and turn on the water. Big decks may need more than one fitting. I assume it would have to be done before the grass dries. I would greas it after to push any water out of the bearings.
Those fittings aren’t worth the pennies they cost. Its completely worthless. All it does is run water over the blades, thats it. You’re better off just driving through a puddle with the mower on.

The biggest issue with decks rusting out isn't the paint getting blasted off, but wet soggy grass caked in the deck that takes days/weeks to dry out. Most of us know that damp conditions really promote rust. If the grass can be cut when it's dry, rather than after watering or a rain storm, that reduces caked grass underneith. As others have said though, its a pretty harsh enviroment under there.

Been a KUBOTA dealer for 28 + years and have seen many folks try ever thing in the world and for most part total waste of time. Deck life is predicated by the type soil like sandy or clay, then how high or high low one mows.

Clean mine up good and have coat with graphite paint every year. I've found that it keeps the grass from sticking for most of the summer.

When we moved here 22 years ago and built our house, it was a sand hill leveled out. Not much luck getting grass to grow to this day. Even when it's dry, the grass and sand mix and stick under the deck, I have to scrape it out every time I mow, usually 2 or 3 #14 scoop shovels full. One year I took the deck off, scraped as much as I could get off and power washed it good and the painted it with Slip Plate( graphite paint used on gravity wagons). After 1 mowing, part of it was wore off and the rest had grass/sand mix stuck to it, just not as much. I'm on the 3rd mower and the 4th deck after 22 years. At my age, when this one dies I should only have to buy one more used mower and then it will be someone else's problem. I will admit it's getting harder to get down to clean under the deck. I tried adding a adapter to wash under the deck with a hose, still doesn't get it all off and water drips on you while finishing cleaning it out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back