1020 Gas - What to look for?

Hotflashjr

I am going to look at what seems to be a good 1020U gas this week. Has new front rims tires and tubes, 1 set of rear remotes, electrical system all gone through, rebuilt carb, good rear rims & tires, origial top link. Working tach shows 1554 hours. The seller has owned it for 3 years and was working on getting it mechanically ready for a repaint and says it has no issues. He has the previous owners records for an engine rebuild 5 years ago. This will replace my MT as the main tractor to do our small veggie/pumpkin farm (2 acres and growing). Is there anything specific to watch out for on these? He says all the fluids are new so that many not tell much on this one. He is asking $5k but doesn't farm, has lost interest and has other projects. I am thinking I could get him down to $4k maybe. Looking around on tractor house it seems that is not far off on a price.

They were good little tractors and will still be running when the new Deere tractors that size are junk.I have sold lots of them and 2020's with loaders.The very early ones had a seperate pump for the power steering and sure that they were a problem just different also many 1020's did not have live pto especially in the southeastern US. Tom

I have owned two of them. One gas one diesel neither of mine had power steering.. Great little tractors. I recieved $4500 for my gas, Larry

Thanks Tom. I was hoping someone would chime in and fill me in if live PTO was standard or an option. The owner did not give me the year and I can't read the entire serial # in the picture I took but I believe this to be a 1969 1020. I didn't see any signs of power steering on the front end, but I also just assumed it didn't have it so thats another thing to check out.

I had been looking for a 40, 420, 430 but anything around me that has come up for sale was either a restoration project, or restored and over $5k. This seems like a logical choice as it is a step above those tractors, still within my budget, and I can still haul it with my current truck and trailer.

Thanks Jim. I feel like $5k is high as well and I am hoping he will come down to $4k. I am going to start off at $3,500. It is close to home, about 20 minutes away so that is worth a little extra to me. I've been looking to upgrade for over a year now and have had a hard time finding much of anything that isn't either beat or outrageous in price so if it runs like he says, I am willing to pay a bit more. I had been looking for a 40, 420, 430 but they just aren't around my area. Even looked at buying one in the mid-west but the shipping makes it unreasonable.

Is it really a utility? I guess they all have "utility" in their names, but if the third digit in the serial number is an "L" it's kind of rare.

No lever between the gear shift levers so I can rule out hyd ind pto on this one. Is anyone better or problematic comapred to the other? Thanks Jim.

Not sure if it is really a utility with the special code. I took a picture of the serial # plate but it was rainy and did not come out at all. It is "like" a utility with swept back front axle and what I would say is a non row-crop height. Most likely could be just the regular 1020.

I am not sure where you are located but I have a 2030 gas, one owner,very low hours,perfect original paint,power steering,rear hyd outlet,three point and power steering that I would sell for $5250. I am located in southern WI. Post back if you are interested and I could give you more info. Tom

(quoted from post at 08:46:25 06/22/15) No lever between the gear shift levers so I can rule out hyd ind pto on this one. Is anyone better or problematic comapred to the other? Thanks Jim.

Both live pto's are fairly trouble free.

Too far to get it shipped resonably... Massachusetts. This has kind of been my problem. I have seen many tractors that would be great for the size of my operation but I don't have the truck/trailer and time to drive half way across the US to pick it up, and you add shipping it makes it a much higher cost. I look at the MT, she owes me not a dime, and I keep going!

I saw a 1530 gas the other day that was never made.
It was originally yellow painted green w/1530 decal.
Serial tag was painted over so I don't know what
industrial tractor it was.
I was trying to remember if they made a 2030 gas since
we never sold one. Were they only made a short while?

My biggest problem in currently buying equipment is that most sellers want upper top dollar with little consideration of possible repairs. I've gotten to the point I want pay those asking prices. Like the 1020 you may find there are some problems and could easily spend $500-1000. From an individual I would say the upper would be $3000. Gas models are not necessarily fuel efficient and most of the time your weak point will be in the front end or hydraulic systems. If there is any engine problems or hydraulics you can kiss $1500-2,000 good by. Be cautious in your dealings.

Just out of curiosity, does your remote hydraulic have one port or two? I just bought my 1020 this weekend and mine has one port for pressure. Never saw one before without a return line port. Wonder what that was used for and where the return line went...

(quoted from post at 10:19:27 06/23/15) Just out of curiosity, does your remote hydraulic have one port or two? I just bought my 1020 this weekend and mine has one port for pressure. Never saw one before without a return line port. Wonder what that was used for and where the return line went...

One breakaway on the rear was to operate a single acting cylinder. Does your tractor have a line that resembles the photo? If so one has to chain 3 pt down for it to operate. This type breakaway could be used to raise cutterbar on a mid-mount sickle mower.
mvphoto23114.gif

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back