jhncp

Is the 1070 a good tractor, I was going to look at one for sale, it says the transmission doesn't work and it's missing 3 pt arms. Runs good and bald tires. What would I be in for to fix it?

They are a okay tractors with good engines, but the PS transmissions can cause troubles. First you have to find out if it is a Powershift or the far less plentiful manual 8 speed. If it is an 8 speed it may just have the standard dry clutch out. If it is a Powershift it may need anything from stiff clutch pedal linkage that needs freed up with penetrating oil, to a gasket to pull the shift valve body off to free the spools, to the torque limiter out which requires a split to replace, that is basically a sort of slip clutch between the engine and trans. Then all the way up to a $4-$8000 trans rebuild. Oh and there are six 5/16 bolts (I think that is the size) that can break in one of the clutch packs and cause a problem. Can not remember if that causes no drive at all or just in one or two of the 3 PS speeds.

In the operator's manual there is a warning not to leave the power shift in reverse when doing stationary PTO work, always leave the power shift transmission in 1 (low). I am not sure what kind of damage that could do.

New rear tires will be $1,000 plus each. If you have a 970, 1070, or 1175 with a bad engine and a good transmission you might be able to make one good tractor from the two. Check the prices of field ready 1070s. Remember that they are already 45 to 54 years old.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back