1170 tranny top cover reassembly problem

Ron Sa

HELP Trying to repair the broken fork from last fall, I am at my wits end trying to reassemble the top cover onto my 1170 transmission case. It uniformly lacks about 3/16 inch from going fully down.

mEI or others have you experienced the following?

All the bolts are started in place to guide it down into the correct position. First picture, the two range shift levers, parts 24 and 27, feel correctly guided into place. I can see that the hi-low shift levers bottom end,17, must be very precisely located to engage a notch in the hi-low sliding shaft.

I am 99% sure the reverse shift lever, first picture part 14, is the problem.

From the first picture, the bottom end of the reverse shift lever,14, is supposed to look like the two range shift levers 24 and 27. Instead, my reverse shift lever is just a longer version of the hi-low shift lever,17, completely round at its bottom end. Perhaps because my tractor is an early version of the 1170?

Second picture,27, except for the hi-low shift lever, the other three seats for the shift levers to engage are cushioned by springs 26 in the second picture.

When pried up and down a few thousands, the downward movement of the cover stops with a clunking sound. At this point, only the reverse shift lever feels bound up. The other three shift levers have some rotational clearance felt at the outside linkage levers on the right side.

Looking at the second picture, I think this means the reverse shift lever is hitting something solid on fork 18.

Is it true that the reverse lever must point straight down in order to properly engage fork 18? Because the cab is in place, I cant get my eyes in position to clearly see the bottom end of the reverse shift lever.

I have tweaked/rotated this lever 14 a small amount in both direction and still the clunking sound when the cover is lowered.

cvphoto126920.jpg

cvphoto126921.jpg

See additional pictures. More clues---the reverse shift lever 14 is lightly rubbing against the range shift shaft 48.

Also, the reverse shift tube, 12 going to the outside linkage lever, shows a 1/8 inch gap where I have indicated. I see no reason why this tube should not be free to move to the right 1/8 inch. This would move the reverse shift lever away from the range shift shaft 1/8 inch and perhaps make it engage the reverse shifter fork correctly.

However, this gap refuses to close when the end of the shaft assembly is aggressively pried against.

When I raise the top cover up a small amount, using my cherry picker still attached, the reverse lever 14 becomes free to rotate back and forth a few degrees. This suggest its bottom end is touching something solid when the top cover is lowered and stops with a clunk leaving the 3/16 gap.

cvphoto127019.jpg

cvphoto127021.jpg

cvphoto127028.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back