MF 302 Industrial

I recently picked up an "abandoned" Massey Ferguson 302 with FEL and Backhoe (Late 60s as far as I can tell). I have gotten it running and hydraulics functioning. When I first got it, the transmission had no oil, only about 5 gallons of water which had frozen into a block of ice. Anyhow, I have all the water/ice out and fresh transmission fluid in there now. The shift rails were stuck but I was able to free them up. I can now cycle through 1-2-3 and High / Low and drive forward. The tractor would not go into reverse so I put an inspection camera down the fill hole and realized the shift lever was out of the shift fork (It was in front of it, so I was stuck in forward gear). I pulled the shuttle lever pin and placed the lever back into the fork and now I could move the forward/reverse fork back and forth.

Now, with the tractor in low / reverse, the engine bogs down to a stall and does not move. With the tractor in high / reverse, it moves the slightest bit and then starts to bog the engine down. After a moment, the reverse lever pops out of gear and there is a clanging in the transmission. I put the outriggers down and lifted the rear tires of the ground. With the tractor off, but in 1/low/reverse, I can spin the wheels by hand but there is a clanging in the transmission as I spin the wheels - the clanging is not there in forward.

I stuck the inspection camera in there while spinning the wheels and it looks like the reverse fork might be hitting the reverse gear teeth OR the shuttle/shift collar is hitting the reverse gear teeth.

I think my next step is to remove the front transmission cover (Steering, gauges, etc) and have a look.

Thoughts, opinions, advice?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back