140 IH farmall

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Need info. I have a 140 IH,the tractor has the sheet medal of a late model but the serial number 18081J in the book shows it being a 1962. This tractor was originally yellow. Was wondering if the J in the serial number has something in a more newer tractor? I am guessing this could be a navel machine? Thanks
 
Hillard: The only item different on sheet metal is the grill assembly. I wouldn't be too awfully concerned about that being changed, those early grills were bad for coming loose, and they would have a miserable vibrating noise. I've seen numerous early 140s with the newer type grill. I used haywire on my 560 to hold the grill insert tight. Didn't look very pretty, but I didn't have to tolerate the vibration type rattle.

The J in your serial number indicates it has a Rockford clutch. Not quite sure why IH kept using the J, they never installed anything but Rockford clutches after 1953, on tractors under 40 hp.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top