1500d stuck left brake

mtnarcher-HT

New User
HI, My tractor has sat for 1.5 years after some of the wires and solenoid burned and melted. I finally fixed that and she started fine, but the left brake is stuck now. The brakes were not on, it is stuck in the neutral position. It looks like there are "breather" tubes coming out of the top of where the brakes are. Those tubes dry rotted probably allowing rain water in, since I leave the seat forward when not in use. So, I imagine it will be really hard pulling the cover off with the brakes seized in the relaxed position. Any tips on how to get the cover off if the shoes are rusted to the drum? I know on Aaron's video I watched he says to slowly work around trying to pry the cover but be careful not to break it. This will be like trying to get it off with someone stepping on the brakes the whole time! Thanks!, Scott

Not understanding. You said brakes were not on and stuck in the neutral position. If so, cover should come off. Shoes should not be stuck to drum.

I guess I was thinking if the brake is seized without the pedal even being pressed, they would be stuck to the drum. The left wheel will not turn. The right wheel is just digging a hole.

There is an o-ring on #3 but still might try soaking it with penetrating oil, then unhook it from #25 and tap it back and forth trying to get it to freely move. Once you are assured it is not holding shoes against the drum then I know of no other means other than Aarons suggestion. I suppose you could pour or spray some kind of lubricant down the vent tube to possibly help free things up. https://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/YM1500BRAKES.htm

I like the idea of the lube down the vent tube. I’m sure a good bit of water has gotten down that tube with all the rain we’ve had and i didn’t realize the tubes had dry rotted so bad since it’s been sitting. Thanks for the tips.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back