1650 Oliver - hyd cylinder issues

I have the same problem on a 1750. It has worked right for 4 years, then last fall disking fodder ground for wheat the left side, set for two way would work the cylinder fine, until getting weight on the wheels, then stop and only move a tiny bit each time the handle is pulled. switch hoses and the opposite is true. new couplers helped nothing. I reset the other side to double acting and will pursue this issue at a later point, but now suspect faulty new parts. Can you believe that is possible in this day of junk production?

(quoted from post at 17:46:47 04/27/23) I have the same problem on a 1750. It has worked right for 4 years, then last fall disking fodder ground for wheat the left side, set for two way would work the cylinder fine, until getting weight on the wheels, then stop and only move a tiny bit each time the handle is pulled. switch hoses and the opposite is true. new couplers helped nothing. I reset the other side to double acting and will pursue this issue at a later point, but now suspect faulty new parts. Can you believe that is possible in this day of junk production?

Not claiming faulty parts for me. Said were my couplers were old as the tractor and the tractor is a 1964 1650.
Still the couplers are Pioneer. The new ends are Pioneer, just different on the inside. Already pictured above.

Noted above was me being sort of new and the manual something to have. Well, the manual doesn't show or tell of everything - especially optional equipment. My couplers are held in by clamps and then the mount was on upside down, hiding the bolts and clamps. Just by chance ran my fingers around the sleeve and felt something - the head of the bolts. Got a pic showing the bolts and clamps after I turned the holder. The holder is a Oliver option. There is no removing the end with the clamps holding the sleeve.
Those couplers are big compared to all others I've had on my tractors (Ford 900, International 400, Allis WD45). Just over 1.5" in diameter.

mvphoto105100.jpg

Called Bushnell. Owner is fantastic. Told me what the problem was and the older ends near impossible to find.
So 2 new female couplers, 2 more ends and while I'm at it I will 2 new hydraulic lines made up - each 8 foot. This will make about $500 in hoses and couplers.

Nightmares work, but I'm doing away with these. Left to right; huge aluminum nut, nut threaded on both side with long tapered tube that goes into hose, galvenize coupling and black pipe fitting.

mvphoto105107.jpg

Another huge aluminum nut. My hand is 4" wide.

mvphoto105108.jpg

Another type of hyd coupling and end that goes is. Suppose to be superior, but no long available.
Ain't broke, don't fix. Will eventually, just letting my billfold rest a bit...

mvphoto105109.jpg

mvphoto105110.jpg

(quoted from post at 18:39:47 04/26/23) Ta-Da. LOL

Found the problem, corrected and came up with another problem. All new Pioneer couplers, ends and hoses. Put all together and tested for leaks - none. Disconnected to re-route hoses and couplers back in holder. The ends would not go in, period. Vice grips and C clamps to hold ends and still could not force coupler on. I was flat wore out. Started again the next morning, today. There's 10 lines holding hydraulic pressure, 2 from pump to couplers, two 8 foot lines going to two steel lines about 10 feet long, 2 lines splitting off the right side and 2 lines splitting off for the left side.
I could not compress the ball bearing in either coupler or the end. Finally drove end down on the back case and got oil to spray out. Did that a good half dozen times before I could hold down the end to let oil drain out. All those lines, there back feed. Waited 5 minutes and pressed end again and got more oil to drain. Oil pressure gone the both couplers accepted the ends.

Probably lost maybe not quite a half quart of oil. There's got to be a easier way. How? What to do?

Can't put couplers in holder either. The sleeves move pretty easy. Just a touch, a wiggle to get coupler in and the sleeve moves and the end pops out.

Best I could do at the present. At least the hoses aren't drop down to the 3 pt hitch.

mvphoto105261.jpg

This post was edited by sonnythomas on 05/02/2023 at 10:53 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back