188 D case 530 CK water in oil

Philly

New User
Hello guys. Long story here so please bear with me,. My father has had this 530 Ck..Ive taken over ownership of this thing recently. I've found and fixed many problems on this thing. I've done a engine overhaul on it 10 years ago, I was a bit green then. I did not get the block or head checked for cracks back then....I ran this thing for many hours since the rebuild. My father got a hold of it later and pulled the thermostat..so there was no pressure in the coolant system and I always noticed it ran hot...so 2 years ago he decided to put cold water down a hot engine when the coolant ran low...bam..I ran it later and had milky oil coming out the blowby, and exhaust coming out the rad..ya it was a cracked head.. so I picked up another head..put all new gaskets, seated the valves, etc and etc..

It started no problems runs fantastic...but still gets hot..no water in coolant. So I decided to put a thermostat in it. Well firstly the coolant was flowing out the overflow...the rad cap wasn't sitting flush in the hole sealing the cap..fixed that...then started it again so the system would pressurize...it's running great..then it's starting to run a bit slower and rougher..so I shut it down...I checked a few things..then I tried starting it..it wouldn't turn over...so I thought hydrolock?... Sure enough I got more coolant/ water in the bottom end...now I'm kinda ------..so..the head is great, everything else on this thing has been fixed...

So I'm pulling the motor Maybe soon...what should I be looking for? Sleeve o rings? Cracked block?

Any suggestions on how to narrow this all down?

Thanks

Phil

First place you need to go is the crankshaft. It sounds like the antifreeze in the oil caused a hot under lubed bearing. Most
likely has the bearing insert seized to the crankshaft and spinning in a rod or if it is a main bearing the block could be
trashed.

Camshaft bearings need inspecting they feed
crankshaft oil.id remove pan,pressureize coolant
nd watch where it drips.might be cracked between
sleeves and if so be new block assembly or find
running engine from a doner tractor

Phil: As for coolant in the oil, CASE used 2 different 188 blocks. We call them "small flange" & "Large flange", referring to the very top OD of the cylinder sleeves. They take different head gaskets. Every internet and uniformed supplier sells the head gaskets for the larger flange sleeve, and this head gasket will leak if the block uses the smaller flange sleeve. When you get the head off, check this area out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back