1941 Ford 9N

Several days ago I posted a message regarding what additional things to do to make a friend's 1941 Ford9N run. We thought that the coil had adequate spark. A new coil had twice the spark of the old coil and the tractor runs and starts perfectly now. We rebuild the carburetor, new points, condenser, cap, new plugs, and set the timing with the timing plate. We had it running at one time then it just quit.
 
It is important for you to tell us if your tractor has a 6 volt or 12 volt electrical system. The troubleshooting is different based upon the configuration of your engine.

If it's 12v, tell us what resistors you used. If it's 12v & you didn't use any resistors, your problem is likely solved.

I’ll assume that if you have a 50+ year old tractor that you have a test meter.

I have discovered that 75% of “no spark” problems on frontmounts are as a result of poorly aligned parts or wires & not parts failures. Remember, you are dealing w/ parts made over 50 years ago that have seen a lot of wear & tear. They just don’t fit together like they used to.



First, turn the key on & crank the engine while you look at the ammeter. What is it doing? If it deflects, that means your points are opening & closing. If it shows a constant discharge, or doesn’t move at all, that means you need to do some more checking.



Next, check for voltage at the top of the coil. Battery voltage w/ the points open & about half of that when they are closed. If you do not have voltage to the coil, then move upstream to the resistor then to the ignition switch. As you check each component, wiggle it & the wires attached to it & watch you meter. Resistors break or get shorted & wires corrode.



If the voltage never drops when the engine is cranking, that means the points are not closing or you have lost contact between the pigtail & the brass screw or the tab & the cap.

Next, check for continuity inside the distributor w/ a meter. It is very easy to ground the tip of the condenser wire to the body of the distributor when you replaced the points. Also, make sure the condenser wire does not go through the same opening in the distributor that the coil pig tail does. The condenser wire goes the opening on the top right. Look at the points; are they burned, pitted or mis-aligned? Check the point gap, .015 on all four lobes. Points do slip closed! Make sure you have the star washers under the screws on the points.

Next, with the distributor still off the tractor, install the coil. Look at the pigtail on the coil; is it touching the brass screw w/ the concave head inside of the distributor? Don’t trust your eyes; test for continuity from the top of the coil to the points. If you do not have continuity, stretch the pigtail a bit until you do. (some people would rather put a small washer under the brass screw) Make sure that the pigtail is not grounded to the clip that holds the distributor plate in place; sometimes you can move the plate while setting the timing & actually ground the pigtail. Your meter should tell you this even if your eyes don’t! Also, look at the little tab opposite of the pigtail; bend it a bit also to insure that it will contact the distributor cap. Another common failure point is the insulator in the tab on the distributor plate where the brass screw w/ the concave head goes; it holds the copper strip from the points. Again, your meter will usually tell you if you have a problem, but you might have to wiggle the copper strip a bit. Once you are sure that you have good continuity inside the distributor, you should be good to go.

At this point, I just put the distributor, coil & cap all back on the tractor as a unit (it helps to loosen the fan belt). The reason I do this is because it is real easy to get the cap or coil mis-aligned trying to put it back together one piece at a time & the result is something gets broken or you get a ‘no spark’ problem.









Please be sure to post back & let us know what the fix was. We all learn something if you tell us what worked!
50 Tips
 
Bruce,

Thanks for your explanation, it has helped me with a current problem I am having. In your message you note the insulator in tab that holds the copper strip from the points. It is not clear to me how this strip is held by the insulator. Is it held by the brass screw? Any comment would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Dan
 
see pix
frt_distr_shorts.jpg

8ndistrib_front.jpg
 
Look at JMOR's pic; the top one has "A" on the insulator. The bottom pic has a homemade insulator made from a plastic license plate screw holder. The brass screw can not contact the distributor plate or it shorts.
 
I just resently changed the coil, points, rotor and distributer cap on my 9N Ford tractor but I did not change everything at once. First I changed the secondary wires that run from the the distributor to the spark plugs and the distributor cap at the same time. The tractor ran fine for a few days and then just died on me. I then replaced the coil, rotor and points but now I can't get the tractor to start. After reading your explanation on how to trouble shoot the ingnition system on front mounted distributors, I reopened the distributor and found out hat my condenser was grounded to the body of the distributor. I fixed the problem but now I still don't get any fire through the cap to the wires. Is it possible that I could have burned my coil. I don't get any current form the little tap across the pig tail that makes contact with the distributor cap.
 
I have a 6 volt 9N Ford tractor. When I hook my points up they ground out. I see spark when they are not hooked up but when I hook everything up the spark is not there. Can you tell me how to fix that?
I have power right to the condenser but the minute I hook up the points I lose power.....when I release it the power comes back.
Thanks for your help.
 
(reply to post at 14:41:28 06/21/08) ...bottom pic has a homemade insulator made from a plastic license plate screw holder.

Having taken the bottom picture and posted it a while back, I'd just like to point out that it is a brand new distributor, purchased from this site last year. Took the pictures before installing as I know one is often worth a thousand words! Wish I were so bright as to cobble up a license plate screw holder to make an insulator though.

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=315377&highlight=
 

Yes, John, I remember that Don b said that that was the way that they are coming to him from the supplier these days and also without the concave screw for the pig tail. Thanks for the pictures!
Here is one that a fellow n'er did on his own as I recall, about a year ago.
frt_Breakerplate.jpg
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top