1943 Slant Dash Throttle Linkage

oldcartech

New User
I bought my first John Deere and it was in boxes! It's a 1943 A Slant Dash serial # 520799.

There was not any throttle linkages in the boxes so I made some out of 1 /4 rod. The tractor is back together and running but now I realize that my homemade throttle linkage is overcoming the governor. When I pull my throttle lever all the way back the throttle plate is wide open.

I've been reading about the governor operation in a B model repair book and from what I can understand is that with the throttle lever pulled all the way back, with a unloaded engine, the maximum engine speed should be around 1375 RPM. That seem right?

Does anyone have a similar tractor that can measure both throttle rod lengths for me? Or give me advice on how to make to correct length rods?

Sincerely,

Mike Ruppel

Take a look at the [b:654c4848f0]THROTTLE CONTROL[/b:654c4848f0] diagram below.

cvphoto93379.jpg

Note the throttle rod (Key 4) and speed control rod (Key 7).

If these two rods are installed on a tractor, then there is no way to measure the entire thread length.

cvphoto93380.jpg

cvphoto93381.jpg

These two rods are designed for 1939 through mid 1947 Model A tractors.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back