1944 john deere A getting rear wheels off

Tstoner

First off I apologize because I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death. I am currently trying to remove the rear wheels from my 1944 A. It has flat spoke cutoffs. The locking collar has 6 holes and 3 bolts. I'm guessing I thread those three bolts into the adjacent holes and push the collar off of the hub? I've seen videos of people doing this but none have the style hubs that I do. It looks like the hub and the wheel are all one piece. But in my parts manual I have it shows that the hub and wheel are separate. Just want to make sure I'm doing this right

yes thats the idea. i broke mine also due to the wedge being seized in there. the outer part is separate.

You have the right idea on using the threaded holes to push the collar off. They can really be stuck. Help yourself out by running a
tap in the collar threads and die on the bolts (or use new hardware). Heat, a good penetrant, and big hammer will be your friend. Once
you get the collar off, the wheel/hub will probably be stuck on the axle splines. You will probably have to rig up some sort of puller,
try to refrain from beating on the hub flanges with the big hammer as they are notorious for breaking. There were many different styles
of wheels for these tractors, some from Deere and some aftermarket. Don't be too surprised they don't match the pictures in the parts
book.

Buy lots of PB blaster and soak the heck out of them for a few days. After you get he collars off some guys move the tractors a bit to break the wheels off the axel s, I ended up jacking up one side and used my 7 foot pry bar under one wheel at a time to finally break them free, took a lot of work and about 3 days total, good luck with them

[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]I'm guessing I thread those three bolts into the adjacent holes and push the collar off of the hub[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]

Yes.

Take a look at the photos below for one method of removing rear wheels.

cvphoto142923.jpg

cvphoto142924.jpg

cvphoto142925.jpg

cvphoto142926.jpg

cvphoto142928.jpg

Hope this helps.

Just moved wheels on 35 A , wheels came off easy , it was the wedge and splined hub that was the bugger. Broke couple pieces 5/16 chain, think blowed seals in HF 20 ton bottle jack. James like your journal
jack.

[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]James like your journal jack[/b:654c4848f0][/i:654c4848f0]

Found it in an antique shop sitting on the floor under a table.

Has been very handy over the years.

<iframe width=560 height=315 src=https://www.youtube.com/embed/upivdShKCIM title=YouTube video player frameborder=0 allow=accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry that Linda's song was removed by YouTube.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back