1948 Allis Chalmer D

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
My dad and I are looking into this tractor and really don"t know much about what something like this would cost. So I was just wondering if anyone would have any knowledge on what we should pay for a tractor like this. Like I said in the subject it is a 1948 Allis Chalmer D with a wide front end. And my dad was thinking it was maybe a garden tractor but not sure. So any comments or values on something like this would really be appreciated! Thanks.
 
Not sure what you mean by a D tractor. There were WD's in 1948 and WD45's later,a model D grader, but the D-10, D-12, D-14 and so on didn't start til the late 1950's. Could you give some more info or maybe a picture?
 
As Lonnie says you need to really figure out what it is since as far as I know there was not a D series tractor made in 1948. There was the B,C,RC, WC, WD and I think the WF also. Then some place around 1957 or 58 they started making the D series tractors like the D-10, D-14, D-15 and D-17. A picture would go a long ways for use to be able to help you out
 
IF it is a WD its basically $1000. range. Could be $800 if its a little beat, and $1500 if better looking. Weight is about 4000 pounds, 40 HP 4 cylinder gas motor, 4 speed trans, etc.
 
Well as the old saying says if at first you do not try try again. Ya I left out a word sorry I can't spell it LOL. So nope that did not work. Does it maybe look like this??
a11324.jpg
 
I hope this picture comes up now. I just mainly need to know what the value is on something this because my dad and I might be look at it tomorrow.Thank you, again, for your replies.
a11327.jpg
 
Well unless it has a transplant wide front that is a B serial numbers will be just forward of the shifter and will start with the letter B. One like that can bring in my area around $1500 give or take as long as it runs well
 
Get it for free! Better yet, have them pay you to haul it away. How much will it cost???? How much you got? You can easily spend $3000 to $5000 after you get it home for a mid range restoration. Ever see adds for $10,000 remanufactured classic tractors, those guys are not gettin rich. First thing to do is track down new and used parts for the tractor you like, how available are they, and how much will they add up to? Don't overlook things like engine bearings and overhaul kits ($200 to $600 themselves) Make friends with a tractor mechanic, buy a manual for a tractor you like, start with an easy one like an AC B or a Pony. It's gonna take more than paint! Once you have it apart, you start thinking about gaskets and seals, then valves, tires ($300 to $500 for rears) whats a camshaft really look like? Soon you will be tracking down accurate nuts and bolts. Am I wrong out there? Remember in the 50 to 70 years that tractor has been around, do you really believe every owner cared for it like it was one of his children? I am actually trying to discourage you, so there will be more tractor for me. You gotta do it........Tractors are cool! Just pick the right one.
 
The pic you posted is a B. Typical values in central Iowa for a running tractor are between $500 to $1500. Very easy to get parts for it. I say snap it up, you won't regret it.
 
The picture you posted is a crank start Model B with some loooong spark plug wires. No Battery box, so no starter motor. Probably a 38' not 48'. Looks to be in nice shape. I would say you're going to look at a "B" not a "D". One in that shape I would think would sell for $750-$1000. depending on the running condition as well as its overall mechanicals. Good Luck! B's are great! I have 2 of em'....
Steve@B&B
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top