1949 JOHN DEERE A clutch/ pulley repair

Eric lincoln

New User
I have a 1949 john deere A. Removed the clutch/pulley assembly now I cannot not slide it back on all the way. The two gears are engaged. About an inch short from being on all the way. Seems like I'm hitting on something. Any suggestions? [email protected]

What did you do to the pulley that you took it off???
I wanted to replace the drive disk, adjusting disc, and friction discs. I thought I would check dogs and toggles but look ok. So anything on that side I didn't touch. Now for whatever reason it just won't slide 9n all the way. Seen videos where they just slide right on. Dont think i should try to force it. Could it be the bearing not centering? Bearing looked ok. Got me stumped. Thanks for replying

Upvote 0
I wanted to replace the drive disk, adjusting disc, and friction discs. I thought I would check dogs and toggles but look ok. So anything on that side I didn't touch. Now for whatever reason it just won't slide 9n all the way. Seen videos where they just slide right on. Dont think i should try to force it. Could it be the bearing not centering? Bearing looked ok. Got me stumped. Thanks for replying
Might have to lift up on the pulley to center it or the gear isn't meshing. Hope you get it on. Ron MN

Upvote 0
Was the inside gear on the pulley loose on its flange?? Gear my have slide off a little not letting you slide the pulley clear on the crankshaft? Other could involve the pulley bearing?? Did it fall apart? A roller from the bearing in the wrong spot?

Upvote 0
I think there’s only one way those go on are you sure it’s not off a spline? There should be a blank spline and a brass nub to line up if I remember right it has been a very long time since I pulled one to put a crank in but I believe it has to be on the right way.

Upvote 0
I think there’s only one way those go on are you sure it’s not off a spline? There should be a blank spline and a brass nub to line up if I remember right it has been a very long time since I pulled one to put a crank in but I believe it has to be on the right way.
I will check this. Right now I'm trying to put the pulley drum on without any clutch drive disc or adjusting disc on it. Thanks for responding

Upvote 0
Was the inside gear on the pulley loose on its flange?? Gear my have slide off a little not letting you slide the pulley clear on the crankshaft? Other could involve the pulley bearing?? Did it fall apart? A roller from the bearing in the wrong spot?
I will look at that. Beginning to think the roller bearings are little sloppy and not lining up well on the shaft. Thanks for you ideas!

Upvote 0
While it was off did you pack the bearing with grease ? Try turning the pulley while pushing it on.
Yes I packed the best I could. I've turned and jiggled seems like every which way. Gets to that certain point and will not move any further. One time I was able to get the fork in its grove and was able to work clutch lever back and forth a little and it did slide on. Now I cannot get it to where I can get the fork in its grove. Thank you for responding

Upvote 0
You are right,use a long bigger punch from the gear end out . You will get the bearing and the bearing retainer, a thicker tin cover... With bearing out, will pulley slide on all the way???

Upvote 0
You are right,use a long bigger punch from the gear end out . You will get the bearing and the bearing retainer, a thicker tin cover... With bearing out, will pulley slide on all the way???
I will work on removing the bearing. Then I'll check to see if it slides on without bearing....good idea, thank you!

Upvote 0
I got the bearing out and the barrel slide on all the way. Looks like that bearing must be the problem. The bearing is a little sloppy so I'm guessing the rollers just didn't want to line up. I really appreciate everyone's help on this. I'm not much of a mechanic but bought this tractor to use and also I knew it would be a project. Nice to know there's good advice out there! Thank you everyone!

Upvote 0
Now im confused about my '49 A. Working on replacing the pulley bearing. According to my parts diagram, oit shows a inner race. I did not have one when i removed the old bearing. I ordered the inner race anyway and now i dont see any way of if it fitting on the crankshaft. I have the pre- 648000 model with the v stamp on shaft. The race will only slide over the outer end of the crankshaft. Did they make Ad's without that inner race?

Upvote 0
Now im confused about my '49 A. Working on replacing the pulley bearing. According to my parts diagram, oit shows a inner race. I did not have one when i removed the old bearing. I ordered the inner race anyway and now i dont see any way of if it fitting on the crankshaft. I have the pre- 648000 model with the v stamp on shaft. The race will only slide over the outer end of the crankshaft. Did they make Ad's without that inner race?
The inner race should be stuck on the crankshaft. A little heat and you should be able to move it. The new race will need to be heated to install. An electric skillet or crockpot with the race submerged and heated up to 300 degrees, but not hotter. Then had a pair of water pump plier to install the race and a pipe and hammer to make in all on the way. Gloves help too. You should be able to see the race on the crankshaft, crank has some oil grooves on it where the race mates to the shoulder of the crankshaft.

Upvote 0
The inner race should be stuck on the crankshaft. A little heat and you should be able to move it. The new race will need to be heated to install. An electric skillet or crockpot with the race submerged and heated up to 300 degrees, but not hotter. Then had a pair of water pump plier to install the race and a pipe and hammer to make in all on the way. Gloves help too. You should be able to see the race on the crankshaft, crank has some oil grooves on it where the race mates to the shoulder of the crankshaft.
Funny how I cannot see things right in front of my face! You are absolutely right....I see it now. That sure explains a lot. I'm a little embarrassed but thank you help and your reply!

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back