1950 JD M Brakes

Greg Hewett

New User
I am looking at buying a 1950 M but the owner told me it needs brakes and I have searched everywhere and can"t find them. I called several online tractor parts companies and they all said they are not made after market. I called the JD Dealership and they said they are no longer availiable. Does anyone have any ideas? THanks
 
Thanks...ytd was the first place I called and the said not availiable. Its hard for me to believe no one makes reproduction brakes for a M as popular as they are. What are folks with M's going to do for brakes in the future?
 
You won't know what you need until you get in there. You may only need to disassemble the brakes and free them up to get them working properly, perhaps replace an axle seal and scuff the brake disks. You will need to pull the final drives to access those brakes. A IT Service Manual would be very helpful.
 
Guess that is why the grilles are all banged up ?

I'd surely think with all the other brake discs made the Co. makeing them could easily make them for the M it makes no sense why they don't ! I wonder what exactly is different about the M then say a 40 ?
 
Greg

If thoose are disks like the 420 wide, you might consider calling the Dubuque Guys in WI like John Shepard or Dave Cook nd see if they have good used and what they cost.

However, my experience from the school of hard knowcks is to see what you need first.

I got some good used ones mixed with a couple new fron John Shepard in the 420 and they work great.

I am assuming they are disks.
 
just bought new linings form jd, $35.00 for each lining(X4) plus 70 cents for each rivit (X24), had to return 3 of 4 linings at dealedship for being cracked upon arrival at dealer. do yourself a favior and check into a clutch repair shop and see if they can reline the old disks. i would think the yellow pages or internet can provide the info. for location.(in Mobile&Pensacola area its "CLUTCH PRODUCTS"). good luck, d. coleman
 
ralph newman, good to see you are still eyeballing the site. "M" is coming along, still need a sorce for sheetmetal. thanks again for your help. d, coleman
 
Be nice if one could at least buy the repo lining so you could have it epoxied to your old disks.
 
I went throught he same thing when I did my M. I looked and looked and found that they are not available for the M (readily available for the MT and at a great price). Like the other responder indicated, I bought the linings and rivets from Deere and had a clutch shop attach the linings to my disks. Since I cleanded the disks, the shop didn't even charge me. It took the guy less than 5 minutes to do it. They work great.
 
do yourself another favior and get the JD "M" manual, the IT manual will leave alot to be desired. dont know if this site sells JD manuals, but dearly departed does. good luck, d. coleman
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top