1950 John Deere A electronic ignition conversion

mikewood869

I'm getting ready to order the 12 volt electronic ignition conversion kit, would there be anything else that I would need to order (I have the coil) or I would need to delete? I'm guessing this would be like a side mount Ford 8n where I would need to delete the terminal block.

Be sure and order the right one. Is your system pos. or neg. ground? Makes a difference, keep the coil, just install and your good to go.

(quoted from post at 06:18:07 08/30/21) I'm getting ready to order the 12 volt electronic ignition conversion kit, would there be anything else that I would need to order (I have the coil) or I would need to delete? I'm guessing this would be like a side mount Ford 8n where I would need to delete the terminal block.
Mike, would you allow me to PM you regarding my JD A flywheel removal and the Flywheel Nut. Having problem removing the nut.
[email protected]

We used a big adjustable wrench, kroil oil and nice long pipe (5ft) to brake ours loose. We got lucky and didnt need heat.

(quoted from post at 12:03:48 09/04/21) We used a big adjustable wrench, kroil oil and nice long pipe (5ft) to brake ours loose. We got lucky and didnt need heat.

So it does turn.. didn't understand, "nut is upset between two Splines and must be straightened". ??
The quote is from the JD Manual..?? 60-24-3

This post was edited by ezliving on 09/04/2021 at 12:48 pm.

mvphoto81330.png

your pic from before..

[/quote]

What they are saying is the nut is peened into the crank to keep it from coming loose. You must bent the nut edge out to get it to turn. I used a small chisel on mine and then peened it again in a different spot. It may be peened in more than one spot.
mvphoto81331.jpg

(quoted from post at 13:28:44 09/04/21)
o it does turn.. didn't understand, "nut is upset between two Splines and must be straightened". ??
The quote is from the JD Manual..?? 60-24-3[/quote]ttps://forumphotos.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto81331.jpg[/img][/quote]
OK, I understand. Well I hope that I can buy a replacement because mine was not in too good of shape when I started an I put a big wrench on it and it collapsed so I cut it off. :shock:
I really do appreciate your help and information.
Thanks a bunch.

(quoted from post at 19:39:07 09/04/21) The nut is part number A 3312R. It was still available from Deere a few years ago when I bought mine.

Thank you Rodney, I did find a new one on Ebay for $36. saw used for $25 + shipping so ordered the new one.

I have a question, I'm trying to get my 1950 A in better shape and have seen some Gauge sets from India that are really cheap. Are there any good quality gauges made in USA that won't break the bank?

(quoted from post at 21:07:30 09/04/21) How can you rebuild a JD A without breaking the bank ?

There are U.S. companies but I can not think of any right now, maybe someone else with have the answer.
8)

I got new gauges from Evergreen Restoration for my 630 and they look perfect and are calibrated. Great guy to deal with. They weren,t cheap but they are right and good the first time. Will buy from Jerry again, Kendall W

(quoted from post at 07:36:06 09/06/21) I got new gauges from Evergreen Restoration for my 630 and they look perfect and are calibrated. Great guy to deal with. They weren,t cheap but they are right and good the first time. Will buy from Jerry again, Kendall W
Thank you for the info. I found them online and will contact them for JD gauges.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back