1952/8N side distro-Trans Oil question

Got my 1952/side distro tractor started. Some smoke when giving gas fast. I let it warm up well and still does this? Recommendations for this issue? I did put Marvel Mystery Oil in gas. Will this cause smoke (blue)?

I check hydro oil and its full. Color looks good. Would you recommend just changing it? Not sure when it was changed by previous owner. Its been 5-6 years sitting in my barn.

@NW-FLORIDA - Blue smoke is an indication burning ENGINE oil; nothing to do with the five gallons of transmission/hydraulic sump/differential oil. Sitting for 5 years is ok for the transmission/etc. oil, as long as there is no water in it, which it probably does not have, per your post. Won't be necessary to change it.

Probably rings and cylinder wear or worn valves and guides. Get the service/owners/etc. manual. Others will be along with a full page of manuals (with color pictures) for you to get! zuhnc

OK. good luck with the oil-burner :). My 8N does the same, and needs some work; I use 20W50 full synthetic to reduce the amount it goes through. Seems to help. zuhnc

QUESTION:
My oil pressure gauge shows 80 psi at idle then pegs out 90 PSI when given throttle. Although it smokes can PSI really be this high?

QUESTION:
My oil pressure gauge shows 80 psi at idle then pegs out 90 PSI when given throttle. Although it smokes can PSI really be this high?
As to the high oil pressure reading the gauge could be "off" or the oil pressure regulating spring and/or valve cold have been replaced with parts from "The land of Almost Right".

QUESTION:
Yes - clueless owners like to muck with the relief valve/spring.

That said the flatheads are not known for high oil pressure so do double check the tractor's gauge with a second one. Preferably a mechanics test gauge.

TOH

Got my 1952/side distro tractor started. Some smoke when giving gas fast. I let it warm up well and still does this? Recommendations for this issue? I did put Marvel Mystery Oil in gas. Will this cause smoke (blue)?

I check hydro oil and its full. Color looks good. Would you recommend just changing it? Not sure when it was changed by previous owner. Its been 5-6 years sitting in my barn.
White, Blue,or Black Smoke and where from? MMO is just a snake-oil product - 99.98% MINERAL SPIRITS so just put Charcoal Lighter Fluid or Paint Thinner in - same stuff - if you think you need it or anything else like it.

HYD OIL color and level - more to the system than that. Exactly what color? Do the LEAK DOWN TEST. Raise 3pt with a load, leave it. How long does it take to drop down? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? A good system will hold a load up for months. The faster it drops the more evident the system is worn and needs R&R'g with a new piston and cylinder for one. Advise to get The ESSENTIAL MANULS for your 8N...

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• FORD 8N ESSENTIAL MANUALS.jpg
    FORD 8N ESSENTIAL MANUALS.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Run the tractor and see how it does, then check the oil level. Put another oil pressure gauge on and see what it reads. Then run the tractor some more and see how the hydraulics work with something heavy on the 3pt hitch. see if it holds the weight in the up position after you shut the tractor off. See if the PTO shaft leaks, does it have the old style coarse PTO shaft? After all of this then you can evaluate what you have and what to do to it. No sense changing hydraulic oil to then have to drain it out again to do repairs or replace the PTO shaft or seal.

QUESTION:
That ain't right! N's used a 0-50 PSI Oil Pressure gauge. NAA and later went to ana 80 PSI one. So what do you have? How does it read 90 PSI then? At cold start up your N oil pressure should be about 25 PSI plus or minus. Pegging at 80 ain't normal - something is wrong so time to get into the system.

Tim Daley (MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back