1952 Farmall Super C Hydraulics blow out

ITW PLAYER

New User
I have been restoring a 1952 Farmall Super C. I added hydraulic block, then a single control and 3 pt hitch. Now changed too 4 control and added a loader with bucket and fabed up a front plow off an old John deer. I was checking how high the loader would go and it started jerking so added more fluid. When I lowered it back down it shuddered then a loud snap sounded and oil went everywhere.

Had a friend look up under tonight and he seen a round hole where oil was coming out of touch control unit, looked around and found what apears to be 2 metal plugs. If it where an auto motor I'd call them freeze plugs. If that helps understand what happened please let me know as I want to repair damage I did.

Then so it doesent happen again, I'm assuming I over loaded it with fluid, so would simply adding a 3 gallon tank (which I have) with a single line going into the hydraulic filler hole with a filler cap, and keeping it half full so oil could be pushed out and drawn back in suffice?

Mine has a tank that is plumbed into the check plug,"3/4 pipe" fill. It needs to be above the touch control and must have a vent cap on the extra tank.

I'd say yes,you overfilled it and the oil had no where to go. Boom! But I'd also say you have the solution figured out.

Our SC blew the frost plug on the front of the hyd. box
when lowering barge boxes.
Found out if we had the touch control arms working up &
down that the pump would pump oil back into the back side
of the wagon cylinder.
If the touch control arms weren't working, no oil was being
cycled.
We never did have an add-on tank for extra oil capacity.
Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back