1952 ferguson

robbie5616

New User
i took the oil pan off because it had water in the oil took the head off an had it resurfaced all new values an springs put the tractor in natural an tried to turn it over by hand but will not turn over do i have to take the alternator an belt off before i can turn it over i put kerosene in the piston sleeves let sit for days but still wont turn over help please

i took the oil pan off because it had water in the oil took the head off an had it resurfaced all new values an springs put the tractor in natural an tried to turn it over by hand but will not turn over do i have to take the alternator an belt off before i can turn it over i put kerosene in the piston sleeves let sit for days but still wont turn over help please
Welcome to the Forums. There is Harry Ferguson Forum that is where your post should be, if it is a Ferguson, however a number of the Ferguson fellows follow this forum as well.

You should not have to remove the alternator belt to turn the engine over.

It helps to know the whole story to figure out what might be going on with your tractor, you need to remember we can't see it. You are the eyes and hands on the project. You need to answer questions people ask and report back after you try the suggestions that will be given.

What is your mechanical background and tool situation?

What model is your 52 Ferguson and what engine?

Is this a tractor you have had for a time and this problem developed while you were using it? Or is it a tractor you acquired in a non-running condition as a project?

Has it been setting? If so, how long? Inside or outside?

When you had the head off, how did the cylinders look? Bare shiny metal or rusty? If rusty how heavy?

You say you put Kerosene in the cylinders. That sounds like you saw an issue with the cylinders and pistons. Did you try to turn the engine over when the head was off?

Did the oil pan have water or coolant (antifreeze) in it?

Do you have the correct manuals for your tractor?

Take and post some pictures.

mechanical background is good tool situation good TO30 Z129 engine had tractor for a while it ran it was setting out side an the hood was up bare shiny metal took the head off because i thought the head was cracked so i had it rebuild oil pan had water in it i have the correct manual

Attachments

• IMG_0597[1].JPG
    IMG_0597[1].JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
mechanical background is good tool situation good TO30 Z129 engine had tractor for a while it ran it was setting out side an the hood was up bare shiny metal took the head off because i thought the head was cracked so i had it rebuild oil pan had water in it i have the correct manual
It may just be the picture, but #2 and #3 look pretty rough in your picture. How do the other two look?

How have you tried turning it over? If it was running and you shut it off and pulled the head, I suggest pulling the starter off. Using a big screwdriver on the ring gear to rpy the ring gear one way then the other. If it has been setting open outside for long it has likely rusted a bit. Keep working it back and forth on the ring gear, once it moves a bit just keep going back and forth and it should come free. Or leave the starter on. Jack one side up so one rear tire is clear of the ground. Put it in high gear and gently rock back and forth on the tire to free the engine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back