1953 farmall super h

kgreg

So I just bought a 1953 farmall super h. Previous owner had extensive engine work done to it and lost interest. It will run but if you drive it up a hill and try to give it a load, the thing will start to sputter and fall on its face like some shut the switch off. I've gone through the carb several times, have good fuel flow from sediment bowl, tank is nice and clean. I've even swapped out the distributor cap and wires and condensor from my good running w4. Also tried different spark plugs and I've gapped the points . Nothing I do seems to help. Dont know if theres something in the carb that I'm missing? I've got the lower fuel jet backed out probably 4 or so turns. The air, fuel jet is backed out almost all the way to the point of almost falling out. If I mess with them it starts to smoke black and run to rich. I even took valve cover off and set valves. Looking for all information and ideas on what to try.

If this is the IH carb, then the two screws work opposite each other. The lower screw is the main jet fuel screw, but the upper screw is the idle *air* screw. So backing out the upper screw adds more air at idle. The tractor may be attempting to "hunt" back and forth between the main jet (too rich) and idle jet (too lean).

Again, this is for the IH carb, as was fit to the H's. Yours may be different, but nevertheless something to check. Good luck, Dave

If the carb adjustments make no difference, look for a broken or shorting ignition primary wire. The easy way to test the issue is to use a jumper wire from the battery to the coil (or resistor if it has 12v) and try it. If it fixes the problem, it is in the wiring or switch. Jim

So I should add, it has a new wiring harness on it as well. I can definitely check that out though. It has the super h carb on it. If I screw the lower fuel jet in then it starves and get throttle up at all. If I screw the idle air mixing jet in then it will sit and puff black.

Okay, let’s clarify what you refer to as the ..sediment bowl..? To me that is the glass bowl under the gas tank. Good fuel flow there tells you nothing about the flow at the carb. You need pull the drain plug on the carb and after the initial drain out of the carb float bowl the flow needs to continue steady and not slow to a dribble. You are aware that the fitting where the fuel line connects to the carb has a fine screen that can plug? It is only there to stop any debris in the fuel stream that gets past the screen that is SUPPOSED to be in the top of the sediment bowl.

Screen in the carb where the line hooks to is clean. Took plug out of carb and have good flow through the carb.

Is it a mag ignition or battery? If battery, it sounds like the advance might be bad. Is the governor working like it's supposed to? Make sure the linkage between the governor & carb is not binding. I'm sure you've made sure the linkage to the carb is correct.

Unless someone drilled the main seat out as IH called the jet, screw should be turned out 5-1/2 turns or so out. Bottom screw pointed forward. Sounds like you are leaning the load fuel out to help the idle air being to rich. Does the carburetor have the idle jet installed? Idle mixture screw turns out to lean or allow more air in mixture. It shouldn't normally need screwed out over 3 turns or so and often less. Slow timing will cause some over rich condition but probably not the spit and sputter. Leaning toward a ignition or lean load fuel mixture problem. Try moving the choke on a little when cutting out to see if it helps or hurts.

OK, thank you! Even the bigger ones had the same setup with a "main fuel jet" and "idle air adjustment," though? Or am I mistaken? The idle *air* adjustment messed me up when tuning mine as it was opposite of what I was expecting--I was thinking it was an idle fuel adjustment. All is fine now, though.

I would still guess the OP's SH is fighting between idle and main jets. Perhaps a clog in one or the other would explain it. That the idle air screw is so far out seems odd and suggests something wrong with the idle circuit.

I think your correct on the two adjustments on the SH carb. SON and I adjusted some on the '51 M, Dad had it idling around 1000 rpm and running snotty rich, and we fixed that. I remember think it was early summer of 1969 Dad took the carb off the SH and had it rebuilt at the IH dealer in town. They had a mechanic there that was REALLY good. He tuned up both the SM-TA and '51 M spring of '63, the M made 48 hp, SM-TA only 47.

So I tried the jumper wire from battery to the coil and that didnt make any difference. I set the fuel jet out 5 1/2 turns as mentioned and started with the idle jet out 1 turn. It started fine, but just starts to puff black like its running extremely rich. Backed the idle out 3 turns and its better but you go to give it full throttle all at once it dies right away. Should also note that with the jets out at 5 1/2 turns and 1 turn the intake manifold starts to frost up? Governor seems to kick in fine when you drive it and apply the brakes. Tried pulling the choke out also at that same time to see if itll catch and stay running but still stalls out.

I've got the float set according to the book at 1 5/16 from the flat of upper half of carb to the bottom of the float. I did that without the gasket. Not sure if I should have done it from the gasket?

possible when engine rebuild cam was timed as per picture in I&T manual. Years ago assembled super M by book. Picture was WRONG. After finding picture was not correct by removing front cover and correcting tractor ran fine,

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back