1956 International Harvester Upright Freezer AV-15

Need Help ASAP locating part diagram or website to go to to do some research on the freezer. It is a 1956 International Harvester Upright
Freezer. Model #AV-15 Compressor will not come on. Just makes a clicking sound at the box located on front of the Compressor. Please advise
what part of this website I need to be searching on if this is not the right spot. All help appreciated. Thanks Diana

Need someone that has an operators manual that can help me out with determining part numbers. Attached is copy of the Compressor.

Needing Part numbers for these pictures for An AV-15 International Harvester Freezer
a195569.jpg

The noise you're describing sounds like the circuit breaker is cycling. I doubt that's the problem. More likely the compressor isn't starting. Does it use an external start capacitor? If it doesn't then my guess would be a bad compressor.

Now that I can see the picture posted, the round disc is a circuit breaker or some sort of thermal limit switch. Might even bee a combo unit if that's possible.

What I see is three terminals. A return (ground), one start terminal and a run terminal. Look online and you should be able to find the internal wiring diagram for the (a) compressor. It doesn't have to be for that model or brand. The rectangular device should be the start capacitor. That can be tested with an analogue V.O.M.

There are other numbers on compressors metal plate. A small appliance place should be able to help you get the necessary replacement parts.

I would take it to a refrigerator repairman. If it's a solenoid there will be a universal one to fit, if it's a compressor, same thing. In lot's of areas refrigerator repair is dying out but not repairs for commercial cooling units like grocery stores have. Full diagnosis is in order to avoid buying unnecessary parts, and I doubt replacements by part number are available.

I'm going to go further out on a limb. That Cap looks like someones added on; possibly because the original unit failed.

Just guessing from what I CAN see.

It appears my memory is failing me. Sorry but it's been a long time since I've worked on one.

The rectangular box should be some sort of start relay. It's purpose is to take the compressors start winding out of circuit after it's running at the proper rpm.

https://fridgeman.wordpress.com/2008/06/01/compressor-start-circuits-ii/

Thanks for all the info guys. I am going to check all the connections tonight and retape all wires and try these suggestions. Will keep you
posted of the outcome. Diana

Your freezer uses a Tecumseh hermetic compressor.

Your problem could be as simple as a bad connection, a bad start cap, or a bad start relay, or as serious as a locked compressor or burned out windings.

Below is a link to a Techumseh service handbook (more geared to newer units, but the same in principle as yours).

Look on Page 24, at Diagram 3-3 (CSIR), and accompanying text for troubleshooting help.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back