1958 861 PTO problem

Alan8n

Ran my 861 diesel over the weekend with the brush hog. After awhile it started disengaging when it got tough going. I also heard a knocking coming from what I though was the rear end or tranny not really sure. It wasn't continuous but random and I didn't hear it when I dismounted the BH.
When I was done I shut the tractor off and grabbed the PTO shaft and tried to see if there was any play in it. Initially I was able to push the shaft in about 3/4 of an inch and then it seemed to lock in that position and I wasn't able to move it after that.
This tractor has the PTO clutch so I can disengage / engage it whenever I want to. I have adjusted the play so that I need to push almost all the way down on the clutch pedal to disengage it.
The PTO lever seems to operate fine without any problems.
Any suggestions as to what can be the problem are welcome.
Thanks
Alan

To clarify the PTO lever will actually pop out and disengage the PTO. I then need to push the lever backwards to engage the PTO again.

That amount of play means that most likely the bearing at the back is bad. running it that way can damage the front end of the shaft. You can get a replacement shaft bearing and seal assy. for a lot less than you may think from here on this site, and the replacment job is not bad.

The PTO shaft and the bearing have a retainer ring to keep them in place. It sounds if the retainer ring on one or both of them maybe
gone or broken. Fairly simple fix

Sounds like the snap ring that holds the bearing on the shaft as come loose, the in and out movement is walking the shift collar out of gear.
This happens at times when the implements pto shafts slide coupler gets dry.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back