1960 560 Diesel

AZ GARY

I replaced the key switch and everything worked for a couple of times then the glow plugs wouldn't work. If I jump A & B (see
attached schematic) the glow plugs work. What is C on my schematic it just shows a junction block where this looks like a solenoid.
Thanks for any help.
cvphoto153682.jpg

The glow plugs draw a LOT of current when working properly, which originally was all passed directly through the glow plug button. The buttons didn't last, even when they were "good."

A common upgrade was to install a solenoid/relay to handle the current, and activate the solenoid with the original button.

The key switch is not supposed to have anything to do with the glow plugs.

Yes, providing it is rated to carry the amperage of the load. A cube relay would probably not do it. A Ford fender mount starter solenoid would do the job fine but the wires would need bigger eyelets on them.

(quoted from post at 15:16:02 05/03/23) Would any good NO 12 V solenoid work ok for the glow plug solenoid?
Thanks

Personal preference, but I'd try to find one rated for continuous duty. Granted you should only need to run the plugs for 30-60 seconds which is well within the capability of a starter solenoid...

If that button could handle the glow plug current, pretty much any good solenoid will.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back