1963 4010 electrical problem

Hello all,

The batteries were down on my tractor the other day so I thought maybe I had not shut the switch off or something. When I charged them up I noticed a spark when I hooked or unhooked the batteries. (The batteries are both new.) It has been recently (before I had it) changed over to 12v. Everything worked fine until this showed up.
I am not an electrical problem fan. Please advise.

Thank you, Tom
 
Spark says there is current. Leakage from dirt on a terminal or switch block, or broken switch, more likely a bad diode in the alternator if you put on an alternator when you changed to 12 volts.

Test by unhooking the batteries, then between the battery and the cable, connect a 12 volt test light. It will light up showing the leakage. Unhook wiring until the light goes out. The last circuit disconnected was the culprit. Then subdivide that circuit to find the part.

Gerald J.
 
the 4010 still has a generator on it. The generator appears to be fairly new. I thought they probably put it on when they changed over to 12v.

Does any of this make any difference in your diagnosis.

Thank you for your assistance

Tom
 
Hey all,

I got the electrical problem on my 4010 fixed. My neighbor said to tap on the voltage regulator and what do you know? Anyway some points were stuck in the voltage regulator. I am sure glad that is all it was.

Does anybody know some way to help that not happen again? My neighbor says to just remember to tap that regulator when I shut the tractor down, but I bet I will forget and it doesn't happen all the time.

Thank you

Tom
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top