1963 Ford 4000 Gas carburetor trouble. Any suggestions??

I had to purchase a new adjuster for the main. The old one snapped before it began to get tight reinstalling it. I was lucky and it snapped at the four ports so it backed out with a straight screw driver. It looked iffy when I took it out like it had been tightened to much and the holes weren’t perfectly round. My guess was it leaked and someone had wrenched on it to stop it. I was turning the main jet on the bottom all the way in at an idle and it shut off, the idle adjustment on top seems to be working correctly.
I was turning the main jet on the bottom all the way in at an idle and it shut off, the idle adjustment on top seems to be working correctly.
Hmm. You should be able to turn the main jet adjustment all the way in at idle without affecting anything.

I have my late grandfathers 4000 select-o-speed. It sat for a few years and I decided to get it running. It has the Marvel Schebler TSX-813 carburetor. After I got it running the float hung on the carb and flooded it out so I ordered a rebuild kit. I meticulously cleaned it and replaced every part. I set the idle and main jets to 1 and a half turns open. It fires right up like a champ, but if I rev it up over an idle it won't run without the choke being almost closed. I believe a vacuum leak would cause it not to idle perfectly without the choke, and I can not locate a leak. I've sprayed carb cleaner all around the carb and intake manifold and nothing changed. My next thought was to check the timing and plugs since it flooded before. It has a Pertronix ignition kit so no points to check.

And if anyone knows a Select-O-Speed expert let me know, I have a PTO issue as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
I expect the fuel isn't deep enough in the bowl. Since this started with a float issue I would look there.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back