1967 Hesston PT-10 round sickle drive belt replacement

CBuchholz

New User
This is my first time replacing the "round sickle drive belt' on my 1967 Hesston PT-10 mower. I have removed the three bolts that hold the "upper flangette of the pitman crank". This allows the upper bearing to be tapped lower with a 1 5/8 socket so it is loose in the frame opening. Now the owner's manual says to "Lift flywheel and pitman crank assembly upward and slip the round belt between flywheel and lower bearing mounting stud." The problem is that that the flywheel does NOT lift. I have used bars and wedges to try and lift the flywheel and it does not move. I assume that there is a shaft under the flywheel that fits in the lower bearing and that the shaft has to come out of the bearing. This is just an assumption as the shaft that must be attached to the center of the flywheel ( "pitman sheave") and lower bearing are not visable under the flywheel. From underneath the mower looking up I can see the end of a shaft in a bearing that is held in place by three carriage bolts. Between the frame and the conditioner rollers it is impossible to get to these bearing bolts without removing the rollers.
I have sprayed "Blaster" a penetrating oil on this lower end of the shaft, but it does not stay in place. I have sprayed Blaster under the flywheel but this probably is not going to where it would do any good.
The pitman crank and pitman sheave (flywheel) are not bolted together like the parts diagram shows on my mower.

Any help on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

May try down on Case board These were the identical machine marketed under Case as a
555 haybine you might get some help there

There was a conversation about the belt on a PT-7 a few years back that mentioned the PT-10...

It's here:

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=implment&th=262828

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back