1984 John Deer 650 Compact Tractor (built by Yanmar)

Procopt

New User
I'm troubleshooting a steering issue with my JD 650. The unit does not have power steering. The steering operates fully to the right and left when the front is elevated. Once on the ground, it moves freely to the left but only about 50% to the right. All ball joints are tight, well lubricated, and no signs of wear. There is some verticle movement in the control arms. The tractor has about 1350 hours of operation. Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm troubleshooting a steering issue with my JD 650. The unit does not have power steering. The steering operates fully to the right and left when the front is elevated. Once on the ground, it moves freely to the left but only about 50% to the right. All ball joints are tight, well lubricated, and no signs of wear. There is some vertical movement in the control arms. The tractor has about 1350 hours of operation. Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
One important item you did not mention, is this JD650 a 2WD or 4WD. It's a huge difference to answer properly. (y)

4WD, Sorry for the mistake.
OK, these Yanmar machines use Kingpin arrangements in their front 4WD. Since the machine is now 40 years old, it would be best to rebuild both sides IF the problem resides in the 4WD axle. Otherwise, the steering shaft and box would need to be rebuilt, replaced or upgraded. It all depends on what the parts availability today.

Do you have this document?

TM1242 John Deere - Yanmar Technical Shop Manual 650 750.pdf

OK, these Yanmar machines use Kingpin arrangements in their front 4WD. Since the machine is now 40 years old, it would be best to rebuild both sides IF the problem resides in the 4WD axle. Otherwise, the steering shaft and box would need to be rebuilt, replaced or upgraded. It all depends on what the parts availability today.

Do you have this document?

TM1242 John Deere - Yanmar Technical Shop Manual 650 750.pdf
No. Where can I obtain one?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back