1995 Ford 555 d

Aintright

New User
Hello all,

My dad passed away in 2007 and I was lucky enough that it was left to me. It's a 1996 555 D Ford it was his baby!!!It stills runs fine my question is how much trouble is it to take the swing cyclinders off one is leaking the other isn't but I figured while I'm at it I might as well do both. The reason I asked is I'm limited on what I can do. My profession that i did for 28 years was a lineman for the power company until I got electrocuted by 7200 volts but I have been around machinery all my life because of that smart man.Also while I'm asking is how would I go about getting the cyclinders off of front wheels they leak also? Thank You all for having such a forum..

Attachments

• 0706191650.jpg
    0706191650.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 8
Carefully check the cylinders at the hose connections before assuming its the cylinders leaking. My swing cylinders leaked and power steering leaked until I checked the connections/replaced hoses. My steering cylinders leaked at the copper washer under the jam nut.

Carefully check the cylinders at the hose connections before assuming its the cylinders leaking. My swing cylinders leaked and power steering leaked until I checked the connections/replaced hoses. My steering cylinders leaked at the copper washer under the jam nut.
TY Sir for the info i will check for sure

I haven't done on a Ford 555, but I did pull and rebuild the swing cylinders on my Komatsu WB140 and it was straightforward but not particularly easy. The hose connections and cross connections difficult to access and swing a wrench to disconnect or reconnect, the bolts on the bracket that holds the cylinders needed a 3/4 drive ratchet with 10' cheater pipe to crack free and the cylinders themselves are pretty heavy and tucked back where it is awkward to handle them. Not sure what limitations you have but you may need to enlist a strong assistant.

There is plate with 3 bolts each end. It is heavy, other than unhooking lines they just lift out. As for steering the biggest problem is getting tie rods off. Dont know if the whole cyl has to come out or take one end off to remove rod and piston assembly.

I haven't done on a Ford 555, but I did pull and rebuild the swing cylinders on my Komatsu WB140 and it was straightforward but not particularly easy. The hose connections and cross connections difficult to access and swing a wrench to disconnect or reconnect, the bolts on the bracket that holds the cylinders needed a 3/4 drive ratchet with 10' cheater pipe to crack free and the cylinders themselves are pretty heavy and tucked back where it is awkward to handle them. Not sure what limitations you have but you may need to enlist a strong assistant.
I truly think it's more than i can handle

There is plate with 3 bolts each end. It is heavy, other than unhooking lines they just lift out. As for steering the biggest problem is getting tie rods off. Dont know if the whole cyl has to come out or take one end off to remove rod and piston assembly.
Shaun you talked me out of it thx

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back