2-cycle head temp -old Arctic Cat

Cat Box

New User
Ok so this is not a garden tractor but it is a small engine. My 1979 Arctic Cat Pantera has a Fan Cooled Suzuki Spirit 500CC. Riding in 25 degree weather, head temp gets up over 500 degrees. What should this run? My old 1972 399 Kawasaki powered Panther runs not much more than 400 degrees or so. Thinking of richening the 79 up on the top end a little. Too lean maybe? Just right? Hmmmmm.
 
not sure what ideal temp really is but will suggest checking fan belt tension and make sure plug is proper heat range and fuel:oil mixture is right. Don't use outboard oil either.

Bill
 
Just read the plug to determine if the mixture is right. Look for light to medium brown. Remember ambient temp/air pressure determines jetting so changes are nessecary... If the plugs look good and the piston is not showing detonation you are fine. Is it possible you need more air to the engine so it will run a bit cooler? The best place to go with ?s like this is vintagesleds.com.
 
Hey Joe. The machine has cyl head temp gauges in the dash. Only one is working, but it is read off a washer below the spark plug with wires running back to the gauge. I've used Klotz. It's great stuff. Smells like soap when it burns. Burns clean.
 
Plugs look perfect light-med brown and I never have to change them (even though I do). Drove it this weekend in 10 deg weather and it ran about 300-350 degrees most of the time. 400 if I pushed it hard. probably ok.
 
Thanks. All checked, all good. I use Valvoline snowmobile oil. I noticed most places have Valvoline outboard oil. I don't use it. Still trying to find out the difference. I'm sure it has to do with how it acts in cold temperatures. We used to use only Golden Spectro (synthetic) or "Purple Power Lube" from Cat back when I was a kid.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top