2014 ford 150 problem

My f-150 clock is flashing and the radio and CD does not work. Happened about a week ago. Yahoo says this happens alott to older fords.
Sounds like not an easy fix or a cheap fix. Anyone had this happen and how did you fix the problem?

Robert in Md.

Doing a quick YouTube search you will find several videos regarding your problem. One guy suggests that the solder joints may need to be heated to let the solder reflow in the joints. The only other option seems to be to buy a new or rebuilt ACM (audio control module). If you go with the replacement module you will have to get it programmed to your vehicle. FORScan along with an OBD to USC adapter and the FORScan software can save you some money if you have a laptop. I have added several links below.

Of course check all of the fuses associated with the radio (there may be up to 4 fuses that need to be checked with a test light or meter, you will need to check the owners manual for the fuse number and location) the fuse block on the f-150 that you need to check is on the passenger right side under the kick panel.

I would try to fix the solder joints first because that might save you from having to replace the ACM (couple of hundred bucks).

How to replace a ford ACM and reprogram with FORScan. (If you are going this route get the FORScan setup first and see if you can get the AS Built data from your existing ACM.)

How to reflow the solder to the ICs and other components (I would probably try a heat-gun first. Rather than his oven method but it would take more skill and care than just chucking it into the oven)

FORScan Programming Forum

One of the OBD to USB adapters suggested by the FORScan community on Amazon (This is the one I went with)

FORScan software products and licensing (you need a paid license to program your vehicle (it is cheap something like 12 or so dollars a year) This setup on a laptop can do almost everything a multi-thousand dollar scan tool can. From diagnostics, clearing codes, etc. It is not watered down.

It sounds like cold solder joints to me, sometimes hitting bumps can change it, or tapping/pressing on the face in certain places. You can also try rebooting the radio (not a fix for solder joints). To reboot, hold down the power and seek/forward buttons at the same time for around 10 sec, when you see the "ford" logo, let go of the buttons. .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back