24 hp 48 inch husqvarna transaxle?

Geo-TH,In

I was given a husky with a big hole in the side of the
Briggs engine. Only had 400 hours on it.
I found a used engine and now the transaxle is making a funny sound.
I removed the axle. Some may call it an HST hydro static transaxle which was covered with mud.
It also had a 1 7/8 inch ball on it.. So good chance it was being abused pulling a trailer.

I'm draining the oil through the vent hole. Oil looks dark.
I plan to replace the same amount of oil that I drained from it and see it it quiets down.
What oil should I use in the HST?

I really don't need another mower. It is just the challenge to see if I can fix it.
I currently have the same mower with about 450 hours on ti.
How often do you change the HST oil?
I wish it was a John Deere.
I have 2 deers and can easily change the oil and the filter.

Tuf-torque recommends 20w50 full synthetic motor oil in older units. Even those that JD wants you to use use their brand. My thoughts are any full synthetic multi is good

The Husqvarna 2448 (years 2001 - 2006) should have a Hydro Gear 314-0510 transaxle. 20W50 oil.

If you have the transaxle out. Be a good time to drill and tap for a drain plug. If done. Be sure not to drill to deep or use a drain plug to long that could hit something.

The Husqvarna 2448 (years 2001 - 2006) should have a Hydro Gear 314-0510 transaxle. 20W50 oil.

If you have the transaxle out. Be a good time to drill and tap for a drain plug. If done. Be sure not to drill to deep or use a drain plug to long that could hit something.
I would also need a fill plug and that would be difficult to get to.
Remove tires and 11 bolts and axle is out, very easy.
Plus I will need to clean the mud off the axle.

Last edited:
Forget about how much comes out. Fill it all the way up. Cycle it forward and reverse several times and refill it again. You can't really overfill it as it has a vent.

I went through this last year with my son in laws mower. Got rid of the noise and pulls like it's supposed to again.

Forget about how much comes out. Fill it all the way up. Cycle it forward and reverse several times and refill it again. You can't really overfill it as it has a vent.

I went through this last year with my son in laws mower. Got rid of the noise and pulls like it's supposed to again.
Thanks, I think only about 2 quarts came out.

I removed the axle. Some may call it an HST hydro static transaxle which was covered with mud.
It also had a 1 7/8 inch ball on it.. So good chance it was being abused pulling a trailer.

I plan to replace the same amount of oil that I drained from it and see it it quiets down.

I really don't need another mower. It is just the challenge to see if I can fix it.
I filled the pump with new oil, about a quart, and used a socket attached to a drill to spin the pump.
It seems to work.
When scraping off the mud, I discovered a rubber plug on the axle part.
I decided to drain the oil, actually dirty mud looking oil. What little dirty oil was in it.
I plan to add some 75w90 gear lube tomorrow.
Anyone have an idea how much gear lube it will take?

@Geo-TH,In
You can probably download a free owners manual from Husky that likely would have lots of "official" answers.
What is fun in that?
This is a learning experience for me because I have a 20 hp husky with a 48 inch mower.
Same HST.
Tomorrow I plan to use a little diesel and flush the axle part before adding gear lube.

If it is a Hydro Gear 314-0510 transaxle that was used in 2448 lawn tractors.

It takes 79 ounces (2 1/2 quarts) to fill.

I would not advise using 70w90 gear oil in one. They call for 20w50 engine oil. Gear oil not having the same properties as engine oil. You could damage the pump. Swash plate oil pumps do not operate like gear pumps and using the correct oil is critical to them.

Is what the other post wrote correct, "Husqvarna 2448 (years 2001 - 2006) should have a Hydro Gear 314-0510 transaxle"?

If so, here's a link to the manual... https://www.hydro-gear.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/BLN-51260_P8.pdf

And the hydro static side and final drive side share the same oil.

If it is a Hydro Gear 314-0510 transaxle that was used in 2448 lawn tractors.

It takes 79 ounces (2 1/2 quarts) to fill.

I would not advise using 70w90 gear oil in one. They call for 20w50 engine oil. Gear oil not having the same properties as engine oil. You could damage the pump. Swash plate oil pumps do not operate like gear pumps and using the correct oil is critical to them.
There are 2 places to add oil.
One place is the HST.
The other place is the rear axle.
Both hold about 1.5 pints.
I used 20w50 in the HST.
The axle I used 75x90 gear lube. I used screw drivers to show where I added the oil.
IMG_20240425_100535.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back