Where to buy a rim for trailer?

I have a rim that rusted out, on a head trailer, so I need to buy a new one. Is this rim the same as a car or pickup rim, that I could buy at a salvage yard? If so, does anyone know which pickup, which year has the same rim?

It's a 15 inch rim, with 5.5 bolt pattern, but the center hole is big, 4 inch, The width is 6 inch, tire size is 215/75 R15, but I don't think the exact size matters.
One salvage yard said the 5.5 bolt pattern was for an older Ford pickup, but another salvage yard said the 4 inch hole in the rim is not common on cars or pickups, they didn't have one.

Is this trailer from a John Deere running gear? Picture of the tag/serial number is below, but I can't read it.

Is this rim hard to find? Would I be better off asking my friendly neighborhood welding shop to clean it up and weld a patch over it?

Attachments

• Head_trailer.jpg
    Head_trailer.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 107
  • rim_Trailer.jpg
    rim_Trailer.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • trailer_tag.jpg
    trailer_tag.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 108
Implement wheel, item 26304 from Agri Supply. I'm sure it's a common wheel available from a lot of sources. If a Ford pickup wheel will fit except for the center hole, just grind or cut out the bore. Not sure if a pickup wheel would have the right offset though.

I have a rim that rusted out, on a head trailer, so I need to buy a new one. Is this rim the same as a car or pickup rim, that I could buy at a salvage yard? If so, does anyone know which pickup, which year has the same rim?

It's a 15 inch rim, with 5.5 bolt pattern, but the center hole is big, 4 inch, The width is 6 inch, tire size is 215/75 R15, but I don't think the exact size matters.
One salvage yard said the 5.5 bolt pattern was for an older Ford pickup, but another salvage yard said the 4 inch hole in the rim is not common on cars or pickups, they didn't have one.

Is this trailer from a John Deere running gear? Picture of the tag/serial number is below, but I can't read it.

Is this rim hard to find? Would I be better off asking my friendly neighborhood welding shop to clean it up and weld a patch over it?
If the rusted out rim is the one in the picture it looks like it's only the valve stem hole that's rusted out. If that's the case, I would drill a new hole and have your weld shop clean up the old hole and weld a patch in it.

Early Jeep five lug rims are 5 on 5.5 bc up to the last CJ7 in 1986.
Those are all 15" with the flat fender jeeps being 16".
The center hole is 4.25"
Offset is pretty much zero.
Most any aftermarket rim is also 4.25 hole.

Plenty of stuff used 5 on 5.5 but it was mainly Ford and Dodge pickups and vans. Most of those will have smaller than 4" hub bores on OEM wheels. The only wheels I know of larger than a 4" bore are Jeeps, IH pickups/scouts, Suzuki and GEO 4x4's. Also most aftermarket wheels come with the 4.25 bore, so don't count out all those other applications immediately. Check you clearance and see if a wider wheel will fit, since you will probably have better luck finding a 15x7. So, back to the implement wheels, or trailer specific wheel, try tractor/farm stores, or trailer/equipment type stores.

Right on the bottom edge it says it is a Montgomery Ward running gear. Not sure who made them for Wards probably electric or some such maker. I believe we used an old Buick from the early 60's or Dodge/Plymouth wheel for some on one we had in the past. The Buick wheel had to have the center hole opened up to fit the hub. Seemed like the Dodge wheel was an old 70's wheel and the hole had to be opened just a bit for that. Big problem with auto wheels is the offset. Try looking at Heywheel they probably would have something for you if you give them the specs with the offset so it doesn't rub the top of the bolster in back. If it was a rear wheelk I would just weld a different truck axle under it with 16's if I could afford the height for the combine.

Right on the bottom edge it says it is a Montgomery Ward running gear. Not sure who made them for Wards probably electric or some such maker. I believe we used an old Buick from the early 60's or Dodge/Plymouth wheel for some on one we had in the past. The Buick wheel had to have the center hole opened up to fit the hub. Seemed like the Dodge wheel was an old 70's wheel and the hole had to be opened just a bit for that. Big problem with auto wheels is the offset. Try looking at Heywheel they probably would have something for you if you give them the specs with the offset so it doesn't rub the top of the bolster in back. If it was a rear wheelk I would just weld a different truck axle under it with 16's if I could afford the height for the combine.
Your local tire dealer will have a new rim.

Standard 5-bolt implement wheel. Common on light-duty implements in years past, but not so much anymore. Commonly found on wagons (duh). Brillion cultimuchers use them too.

Still plenty of new ones available. Wold wheel. Southwest wheel. Agri supply. Steiner. Just google "5 bolt implement rim" and you'll get dozens of possible sources for new.

As with any new rim they're not cheap. Hard to justify for a rusty old running gear, so you might want to find an old Jeep rim or Ford truck rim and modify as necessary to make it fit, just to save money. Thing is those old rims are getting harder and harder to find too. Most people selling them think they have collector's items not scrap iron.

I agree with caterpillar guy, definitely says "Montgomery Ward" across the bottom of the serial tag, so not a John Deere, but at this stage of the game it really doesn't matter because you'll be into generic parts or fabricating things if it needs repair.

Pioneer Rim & Wheel
Mpls, Fargo, and Madison.

Ag wheel express and wold rim both can sell you a new one before they get marked up anywhere. Shipping might hurt a bit like everyone said it’s a standard 4 inch center 5 bolt there are some John Deere rims that will fit. Wandering around a tractor salvage yard for a used one you might have better luck

Right on the bottom edge it says it is a Montgomery Ward running gear.

I was thinking the hitch on that gear looked familiar. There is a still a hay rack on the farm and the gear on that looks about the same. Thought it was a wards or sears gear. But, that gear has 16" rims on it. They do look the same though as the OP picture. Maybe its a older version of OP's one.

Check online or your local tire store White spoke wagon wheel is the common name. They were used on IH Scouts and early Jeeps. The 5x5.5 is easily to find its the hub size that might be harder to find

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back