2400A Loader/Backhoe rear tires

Weldrdave

New User
Hello everyone, I'm a new guy and have been reading and learning a lot here. I'm new to tractors in general but not new to a diesel engine. I'm retired military and purchased some land in the great state of New Hampshire and plan on using this machine to assist in light clearing and trenching for my septic.
I recently purchased a 1974, 2400A and want to learn more about it. I got a great deal, "I" think, the machine has 4426 hours on it, everything works and runs as should.
Here is where my question comes in; It is in need of rear tires and the rears on it now are 14.9-28 The previous owner has a manual and I'm reading everything that says 14.9-24. I did find one spot in the book that mentions 14.9-28 but these tires seem very very close to the backhoe outriggers, maybe an 2 inch of clearance on worn tires now. Is it me and just assume this is not correct? I'm planning on putting new tires on shortly. Anyone see any issues? Thank you in advance. Dave
mvphoto28591.jpg

mvphoto28592.jpg

mvphoto28593.jpg

A 2400A is essentially an IH454 tractor with better hydraulics, a beefier front axle, and yellow paint. Any of 14.9-24, 16.9-24, 13.6-28 or 14.9-28 could come stock. Some even came with dual rears.

I really see no reason to replace the tires you have.This is a backhoe,and you only need something with a little bit of tread.New ag tires with a lot of tread will just dig holes in the ground.New backhoe tires don't have a lot of tread depth.Unless you have tires that are all cut up,I would use up what you have first.I kind of like those old 4 stick hoes,with 2 on each side.Take a good look at that splined pin that the boom pivots on,that bracket just above the swing pistons only has two bolts in it.If they loosen up the whole thing will slam from side to side a half inch or so. Then that top bracket will break in two.Those machines are very nose light.I always had to back them up hills.I don't know if yours has the mechanical or hydraulic shuttle,the ones I ran were all mechanical with the lever on the left side.

You could drop down to a 13.6x28 which should easily clear. This has the advantage of a less expensive tire *usually* and you don't have to incur the cost of different rims along with the annoyance of trying to chase down different rims.

The 28" rears give you a whole lot more ground clearance, which backhoes tend to not have.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back