268 FUEL ISSUE

tuney443

New User
I have an older 268 Ford diesel in my Royer topsoil plant. I'm having problems with the engine staying at a full RPM. Fuel, filter, lines are all good. It will come up at first to full RPM's, then goes to an idle and if under a full load, it will die. When I restart it, it will come back up but then die again shortly. Would oil pressure have any bearing as a safeguard on this engine ? At wit's end to find a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I am the one that replied to your post in the
Restoration and Repair tips topic section suggesting
you move your post here. Dieseltech, the other poster
that replied there is the injection pump repair person I
was referring to. You should email him and discuss this
with him. I am surprised he did not give you more
information in that post. You need to be logged in to
see the email button in his reply there.

I doubt it's engine oil related, but fuel supply related. The spec book I have shows either an inline pump that was used on early engines, or the CAV DPS rotary pump that
starts with 85 on the tag. Tee a vacuum gage in the fuel suction line at the tank, a GOOD working system will show no more than four inches vacuum to draw fuel out of the tank, any higher reading and there's a restriction somewhere, like a suction screen plugged. Another low pressure gage at the injection pump inlet should have 4-5 PSI, if that ever drops to zero then injection pump is starving for fuel.

It sounds like a fuel issue. Could be a bad lift pump. Could be some other tank/line restriction. Is it a gravity flow system?
Only other issue that really comes to mind would be a sticking rack in the pump. You could remove the side place and observe the
rack movement to rule that out.... but honestly it sounds like a supply problem.

Rod

All the fuel supply possibilities have been addressed. All that is good. The injection pump is a Roosamaster. I don't know how to post a pic here.

To protect from spammers there is a minimum number of post needed before photos can be added
Use to be 10 post but I ve seen some able to post photos with just 7 post

The Ford 268 4 cylinder Ag/industrial engine was first introduced around 1980 using a Simms inline injection pump, later it was changed to a Lucas rotary pump. These are the two pumps I ve seen on those engines
That said I have seen some odd configurations on some of Fords industrial side, but it would be odd for them to make a special engine plate, pump drive gear and fuel lines just to run a Roosamaster pump on the 1965 and later engine design

Ford did use the Roosamaster pump on the 1958/64 designed 134/172/192 engines along with the 242 6 cylinder used in the 6000 model tractors. Ford continued using that engine design up into the 70 s for industrial apps
I have seen the 268 in industrial apps but it still used the Simms or Lucas pumps

A few weeks ago, the post requirement was changed. It had been 1 post for Modern and 5 on Classic. My understanding from YT Supports post on this at the time is that he removed the requirement so one should be able to post pictures in their first post. This was for both Modern and Classic Views.

(quoted from post at 15:21:11 05/18/23)
A few weeks ago, the post requirement was changed. It had been 1 post for Modern and 5 on Classic. My understanding from YT Supports post on this at the time is that he removed the requirement so one should be able to post pictures in their first post. This was for both Modern and Classic Views.

When I said I don't know how to post pics, I meant I simply can't on these type of forums. VERY non computer savvy. I can send pics to emails and texts though.

Scroll down till you see Up Load Photo/ Video
Click on choose file
You ll get a pop up choice of Photo library, Take a photo or video or Browse
When I click on photo library it brings up the photos on my phone or computer that I am using
I select a photo and click add
Sometimes it takes a bit for the photo to load but it usually does

If that doesn t work click on my email and send the photo to me, I will post it here

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back